Chapter 6 | Comfort

"Wait, Who are you?"

Lorelei shuddered when she heard the familiar voice, though could not connect it to any faces she might remember. Her grip around the basket's handle tightened until her knuckles turned white as she was processing his simple question.

Then, she decided to speak.

"I am no one of importance, only a mere subject amongst the hundreds and thousands."

She mentally praised the steadiness in her tone.

"Does this mere subject come with a name?"

Silence.

Questions ran through her mind as to why he asked for a name, what would he use her name for? Was he planning to meet her again? Had she done something wrong? Would it be okay to answer?

"It's...Lorelei."

The steadiness, now long gone.

"Well. Miss Lorelei, am I allowed to see who this voice belongs to?"

She thought about it for a moment, considering the pros and cons of showing her bare face to a barely familiar stranger. Though there would be no benefits to revealing her appearance, she came to the conclusion that no harm could be done as well.

Her clenched fist loosened as she drew in a long breath to ease her nerves. Lorelei slowly lifted her head and faced him. Focused on her inhale and exhale.

As her mind registered why this man sounded familiar, she couldn't hold back a gasp. By pure coincidence, the very man who had saved her from an attacker was right in front of her.

Phillip couldn't stop his eyes from widening, the cloaked girl he had been looking for was standing before him, In the flesh.This time without a cloak as he noticed how her hair shined in the speckled sunlight.

Neither said a word to each other, until Phillip cleared his throat.

"Uh well, I am glad to see that you appear to be fine from our last encounter."

"Well, to you too..." She fiddled with her thumbs.

The two didn't know what to do or what to say. The silence between them was certainly anything but comfortable.

"So, does my savior also come with a name?"

"Well, I wouldn't say I was your savior, more like an accomplice if you will, but call me...Jay!"

Phillip said the first name that came to mind. Even though he thought Lorelei would not use his real name against him or say anything, he couldn't risk it. No one in the whole kingdom knew what he looked like, and if they did, his freedom would be stripped from him in a matter of seconds.

Even though it pained him to lie to the only girl he wanted to learn so much about. How could he even see her if he was caged in the palace?

"Oh. umm well Jay? What brings you into these woods?"

Her fingers graze against the texture of the rough basket.

"I was hunting for a small while with a friend of mine."

"Where is your friend then?"

"Probably out chasing squirrels up a tree somewhere."

He shook his head at the exaggerated image.

The idea of Hastings riding on an excited Wisp as he chases the little rodents into hiding was surely a peculiar sight but not impossible.

"What?"