Chapter 18 | Visit

The change in the climate was rapid, The snow was thawing and some of the plants were now scarcely visible. Sprouting through the freezing surface. The light from the sun ricocheted pleasantly off the sleet, turning the snowflakes into tiny crystals.

There in the garden, Lorelei sat blissfully on the swinging bench whilst sipping on some sweet coffee. Enjoying the sounds of birds and the palpitations from her own heart.

Time seemed to somehow halt once in nature. Yet there is never enough time to indulge into all of the beauty it provides without consequence.

The loud silence surrounded Lorelei with a few interruptions from the sips of her coffee.

"Little Lori!!" Someone called out.

"Little Lori!! It's Rosey!!"

Rosey?...

Lorelei answered his call from the bench. "I'm in the garden."

Immediately, Hastings jogged up to where Lorelei sat and smiled.

"How is my beautiful girl?"

She stood up and embraced him for a moment. She missed Hastings, Though she was curious as to why Jay wasn't with him this time. They are practically sewn by the hip and frankly, Lorelei had too many questions.

"I am well, I missed you."

"Of course, It is normal for anyone to miss such a perfect man like myself." he let out a hearty laugh while Lorelei simply giggled and shook her head with a smirk.

"I missed you as well, beautiful. I was unfortunately preoccupied with a few events." he chuckled nervously as he rubbed the nape of his neck.

He led Lorelei to the swinging bench and sat down to the side of her. With a much closer look at Lori, he could see the bags under her eyes and the slight lack of color in her skin. Causing him much worry.

"You look exhausted, have you been unable to get sleep?" Hastings asked.

"No, I have not, many thoughts and questions go through my mind that I am unable to sleep in a comfortable silence ."

"May I ask what is bothering you?"

He slightly tilted his head to the side curiously and moved his body facing towards Lori, giving his undivided attention and potential advice, If need be.

"I just...wish I could understand Jay..." she shifted her gaze away from Ambrose and stared at her cup, rubbing the decorated glass with her index finger. The steam from the liquid must have stopped at some point. Lorelei just didn't notice until now.

Hastings had an idea on what she was talking about. He wanted to clarify why Jay did it but in order to do that, he might risk exposing the prince's true identity and that was the last thing needed to 'ease the situation'.

"It is quite cold, would you like something warm inside? I may have some soup I could heat up for you." Lori inquired.

"Now that you mention the weather conditions, it is in fact cold." he let out a visible breath into the air, "If it is not too much for you."

"Nonsense Rosey, it would be a pleasure. Come, let's get inside."

Lorelei and Hastings stood side by side as they walked to the cottage. Once she opened the door, the warm and comfortable heat flooded both of their senses. The crackle of the fire was quiet and sporadic, and the flames were still young and writhing with much ease.

Hastings stepped inside after Lorelei, looking around the familiar setting and taking in the warmth. "My, is that brilliant fire. Dancing around without so much as a care in the world. Ah, to be a flame without responsibilities." He let out a drastic sigh and slumped himself into one of the dining chairs which faced the kitchen where Lorelei stood.