Attacks

I watch Merlin twitch uncomfortably. Gaius said he would be fine, he just needs rest. He has a few cuts and scratches but he didn't break anything. His eyes move under his lids.

"Sire. He will be okay. Stop worrying so much. I can have someone send for you when he wakes. I'm sure you have some meetings and duties to attend to. You at least need some rest. Go." Gaius has been patient and nice to me, but I know he's right. I sigh.

"Yes, yes. I know. I just. I want to make sure he's gonna be okay. He's always hurt and always in trouble." I slump in my chair. Stupid boy. He's always getting into fights. Always getting hurt.

"That's just how Merlin is sire. If he hasn't done exactly how he's done things, there's a good chance he would be dead. He knows how to take care of himself. Trouble just always seems to find him." Gaius smiles and chuckles as if he just said an inside joke.

I stand. "Alright fine. I'm pretty sure there are attacks on some of the outer towns that I need to take care of. Thank you Gaius." I stand up and stall a little.

I'm sure Gaius would have left the room a minuet if he noticed but his back was to me, already back to working. I lean down and peck Merlin quickly on the lips, and leave before Gaius sees the blush spread across my cheeks.

It turns out, I miss a lot or things when Lin isn't around to remind me about them. There has been attacks on the outer towns that are surly becoming a problem. Guilty from my ignorance, I decide to go out myself with a few Knights to see what's going on. I make my way to the stables to get my favourite horse.

She's been sick and I haven't been able to ride her. Her name is Graine. A man gave her to me. I'm not sure why she has such a silly name, and I didn't know the man. My first thought was to execute the suspicious horse. I thought the man might be a sorcerer, but after all these years, Graine has done me nothing but good. She's the strongest, fastest, and smartest horse I've ever known. Her one fatal flaw, she has a, what would you say, liking, for Merlins dumb horse. I sigh as I walk into the stable, seeing the two together.

"Come here baby girl, you look so much better! Ready to go for a ride?" As I say it, I second guess myself. She might not be ready for a fight if it comes to that. She looks amazing though. Her unusual white-blonde coat practically shimmered and she was very energetic. She whines and bumps me with her head.

"Alright, alright. You can go." I turn to the stables servant.
"Can you please fetch Knight Gawaine's horse?" I ask, petting Graine. He nods and rushes off. I tack and lead Graine out to the group of other horses. The other Knights are there and ready to go. I look around for the always late Gawaine. I sigh.

"Has anyone seen Gawaine..?" I ask impatiently. The other Knights smirk and start laughing to themselves.
"What? What is it? What's so funny?"

One of the Knights snickers. "Last time I knew he was um, exercising in his chambers." The guards start laughing again. I glare at them confused. I look over to see a ruffled a rushed Gawaine come running out.

"And where have you been?" I smirk. He coughs and fixes his ruffled clothes and flattens his mess of hair down. He blushes and looks down. I roll my eyes.
"Your horse is tacked. We need to go, we've wasted enough time as it is."
I hop on Graine and we set off.