18 | Self Defense

Ever since Valentina's return, I have been under a lot of stress, especially from our father

Ever since Valentina's return, I have been under a lot of stress, especially from our father. I know he wants to keep her safe and out of the world we live in, especially since that's why our mother took her in the first place. I can't help but think now that she's back, she should know what we do.

It baffles me she hasn't asked about the amount of security around the place and the fact they carry guns. She didn't even question having Messiah and Felix guard her either, maybe she knows something. I'm adamant about finding out, I mean it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to know that something is up around here.

As well as the pressure of keeping Val safe, I still have to lead and focus on our business, the legal and illegal side of it all. Our father has stepped in to help, mainly where Val is concerned, but I'm fine with that. It allows me to focus on the mafia business.

I'm a bit of a hard ass when it comes to my brothers, my father taught me to be stern with them. I try to be stern with Val but I have a soft spot for her, I try to not let it cloud my judgment though but I can't help it. Her big doe eyes are my weakness.

Knocking sounded at the door, I tell the person to come in. Val peaks her head inside gracing me with a beautiful smile that reaches her eyes.

I feel so guilty not spending much time with her but Viktor is gunning for us, I know I agreed to Diavola's terms of leaving him alone but it's becoming impossible. Speaking of Diavola, we haven't heard a peep from her since Val's return.

I wonder how she knew where Val was at the time, rumours are she has an informant in every mafia feeding her valuable information.

"You wanted to see me boss —" Val smirks with a brow raised, "if this is about the fight at school today, I know I shouldn't have used violence, but when someone messes with me, I push back. Alessia told me to never allow someone to bully me."

Alessia, our mother. I was never angry at her for taking Val away, father however was beside himself, he didn't understand how she could just take his little Princess away and not even say goodbye to us.

"I was thinking we would get Messiah and Felix to teach you some self-defense techniques. Messiah is one of our most skilled guards followed by Felix."

She takes her time thinking about what I said, her eyes narrowing at me, "Self defense for what? Why would someone want to hurt me?"

I let out a quiet sigh, how am I meant to answer her question? Oh you know, someone wants to kill you or kidnap you to get back at us. I shake my head and straighten myself up before regarding her again, "it's just a precaution Val, no one wants to hurt you. We — Your family wouldn't allow it."

She nods absentmindedly, "fine, I'll train with them. I'll just warn you, I'm not as weak as you think. Mother may have taught me a thing or two, so don't be surprised when Messiah and Felix come back bruised —" she chuckles, "or worse, bloodied."