Chapter 1: The Arrival

It was a normal day at the guild. I sat at the table with Lucy, drumming my fingers on the table. "Luuuccyyy can we go on a mission?" She rolled her eyes. "Did we not just get back from one? Hey, where's Happy?"

I looked around. The little blue exceed was no where to be found. "Oi! Happy!" Mirajane looked up from tending the bar, where Gray sat with Juvia, sitting close to him. Very close. "I think I saw him exit the guild a little while ago," Mirajane said, before getting back to scrubbing the tables.

"Lucy, c'mon!" I tapped her arm, and she looked up from her book. "Hey, what are you reading...?" I glanced at the cover. "10 Ways To Fall In L..." She slammed the book shut and flipped it over before shoving it in her purse, blushing. "Let's...let's just go find Happy..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Sun began to set, and there was still no sign of Happy. I began to worry.

And then..."Aye sir!" That sounded a lot like..."Happy!" I ran towards him. He was perched on the lap of a man with sandy blonde hair, and deep blue eyes. "Natsu!" Shrieked Happy. "Oi, who are you?" I growled at the man.

"Natsu, let's just go. There's no need to..." Lucy looked up at the man. "S-Samuel? Is...is that you?"

"Lucy?!" The man responded. "I...you..."

He then ran forth and hugged her. "Oh...I was so worried. I still remember when you ran away from home...and your father--"

I then cut him off. "You still haven't answered my question. Who exactly are you?"

He--Samuel--took a deep breath and separated himself from Lucy. "I'm a friend of Lucy's. And you are?"

"My friends. Natsu, Happy, this is Samuel." Lucy spoke before we even had the chance to say anything. She tucked her hair behind her ear, looking at Samuel. They exchanged glances.

"Anyways, Lucy, can we go on that job?" I asked, breaking the awkward silence. "Aye!" Happy chimed in.

"Natsu, I would but...Samuel and I really need to catch up. Is it true that your mother died?" Lucy turned to Samuel, concerned.

"Oh...yes, she did...it...was tragic..." He started to tear up.

"I'm...I'm so sorry I couldn't be there for you...it must've been terrible..."

He nodded, quickly getting over the subject. A little too quick...

"Anyways, would you like to go someplace for dinner? So we could...you know, catch up?" His voice was thick, showing no signs of emotions. He brushed a wisp of hair out of his oceany blue eyes.

"But Lucy! Don't we have that thing at the guild tonight?" I asked, desperately trying to get her attention off of Samuel. What was he trying to do?

She shook her head. "I don't remember anything about that. Maybe I should check with Mirajane..."

Samuel glared at me, I was sure of it, and his eyes went from an oceany blue to a deep, dark blue that was full of rage. He quickly covered it up, though. So quick I questioned if I'd even seen anything. "A guild? I'm sure they'll understand. Now, come, Lucy. Your fair blood isn't fit for such a job, being a Mage." He grabbed her hand. Lucy hesitated, and her brown eyes, the color of fresh oak, flashed with fear.

"Fairy Tail is her family!" Happy protested.

"Her family?" Samuel questioned, then turned to Lucy. "Lucy-Sama...what would your father think?"

Natsu winced as he called her 'sama'.

"My father is dead. And...he already made his opinion clear." Her voice was strong, although it was tinged with sadness.

"I'm sorry. Anyways...shall we be getting to that dinner?" Samuel made another grab for her hand.

"Yes. Let's." She looked back to me, and smiled. "I'll see you in the morning, Natsu, Happy. Have fun at that guild thing."

And with that she walked away with him, leaving me cursing to myself.

AUTHORS NOTE: Thank you so much for reading this! Anyways, please leave suggestions for next chapter, or just an encouraging comment would help. Thanks!