Chapter 18

"So, we both want to get 1st place, right blondie?" Flare tipped her head to the side, and a sick smile crept up her lips.

I didn't answer just looked at her, trying to devise a plan to take her out.

Her hair then snaked by my foot and yanked me into the air, the flames began to burn my shoes, soon my skin.

"Think, blondie, think~" The red-haired Mage cooed, and I could feel the flames growing steadily hotter.

I wouldn't last much longer.

What would I do if I was Natsu? Something reckless, that's what.

I suddenly let out a gasp of realization.

I had a plan.

~

Okay, so if I summoned a Celestial Spirit, I would only be able to have them out here for 5 minutes, at best.

Here goes something reckless!

~

I pulled out my whip and swatted Flare in the face, just hard enough to get her to flinch and drop me head first onto the ground.

Sand got into my eyes and it stung, but it could be worse.

"Open, gate of the Crab! Cancer!"

And in a beam of light Cancer appeared, two freshly sharpened scissors in hand.

Flare looked horrified. "Oh, no you can't--"

"Cancer, give her a trim!"

He nodded. "Ebi."

Much to Flare's dismay, Cancer ran forward and in quick snips long strands of the Mage's hair lay on the ground beside her.

She picked up the strands and cradled it in her arms, as if she was a mother who was caring for a sickened child.

Looking up, she turned to glare at me.

"BLONDIE!" She screeched in rage. "Ebi," Cancer said before disappearing. "Perfect...timing, Cancer..." I muttered under my breath, now even more exhausted from my lack of magical energy.

Flare crawled towards me and forcibly tugged me close to her. "I will get you back someday, Blondie. Someday."

And with that she crawled off into the shadows, still carefully holding her hair in her arms.

~

I walked out of the Maze, clutching my wounded arm, although I was smiling and the crowd was all cheering.

The announcer turned to me and beamed. "Lucy Heartfilia makes it through and earns 5 points for her team!"

I could see Natsu in the crowd, cheering, alongside Erza, Samuel and Lunar.

I began to hobble off to the infirmary, my smile only beginning to grow as everyone started chanting my name.

They had seen it all on the Video Lacrima.

As I entered my team was waiting for me, each congratulating me.

And I felt useful, needed.

It felt good.

~

The woman watched from the crowd, smirking.

She kept her head low, hiding the jagged scar that sliced her eye with wisps of her black hair, dark as pitch.

She grinned, allowing a small, soft chuckle escape.

"Enjoy your fun now, Lucy Heartfilia. For it won't last long."