Chapter 26

Zeref cackled at the sight of our surprised faces. "Hello to you too. Long time no see, Natsu."

Lunar and Samuel both looked confused, but were both on the defensive. Natsu looked at the ground, not meeting Zeref's gaze.

"Natsu? What does he mean...?" I asked, trembling slightly. Erza and Gray also looked at him expectantly, desperate for an answer.

"Oh? So you haven't told them?" Zeref landed on the windowsill and propped himself up. "This is getting interesting. I think I might stay awhile."

Natsu finally looked up. "Promise you won't be mad, Luce?"

I didn't answer, but he continued anyways. "Remember when we were all locked up at your mother's place? And I busted out and burned up everything?"

I nodded at the memory.

He drew a deep breath, preparing to speak. "Well, before Lunar showed up, it went something like this..."

~FLASHBACK~

(Natsu's P.O.V.)

I clutched the bars angrily, willing the flames to come out, but they never came.

Sitting down on the ground I let out a groan of frustration.

Lucy was out there somewhere.

Suddenly someone ran their fingers over the bars, and I looked up.

"Why hello, Natsu." Zeref grinned. "Lunar should be here soon, so let's cut to the chase."

"Why are you here?!"

He clucked his tongue. "Save the questions, Natsu. Do you want my help or not?"

"No. I don't need your help." I hissed, grabbing the bars in an attempt to grab him by his wrists.

He backed away before I could grab him. "Nuh, uh, uh..."

"And, actually, you do need my help."

"Really? Prove it."

He shook his head and sighed. "You see, the odds right now if you saving Lucy are about 50%. If you don't and her mother instead wins, Lucy fully completes her transformation and will never return to the way you remember."

My face paled.

Zeref began to back away. "But you don't need my help, so--"

"Wait!"

He smiled. "Change your mind? Need my help?"

"Yeah. I think I do."

~FLASHBACK ENDS~

(Lucy's P.O.V.)

"Natsu..." I said, biting my lip.

He looked up to me and shot me a wry smile. "I didn't wanna risk it, Luce. Sorry."

I shook my head. "No. It's fine."

Zeref cleared his throat. "I don't think Natsu's the only one who's gonna play confession. Don't you have something to own up to too, Lucy?"

My eyes widened in sudden realization.

No, no, no.

Everyone in the room looked at me, faces etched with confusion.

"Where is she, Zeref?"

He laughed, a laugh with no humor. "She's been dealt with."

I looked at Lunar, who was staring at me intently, eyebrows furrowed with confusion.

"Lunar will kill..."

My eyes flew to Natsu.

"...the one closest to you."

I shook my head, and fell to my knees.

I bit the inside of my cheek to keep from crying.

"Zeref's right. I do have something to tell you all."