4.

TW:really fucked up abuse (seriously like wtf why the hell did I write such tragic backstories in middle school lmaooo)

That night, it was Max's turn to sleep with the human. He acted like he didn't care and that it didn't matter, but he actually was looking forward to it.

He remembered how nice it felt when she pet him. It was so different from his old master...

As he was day dreaming, (Y/n) walked in and smiled at him. Looking up, he gives her a small smile back without thinking about it. He was quite sleepy and he always let all of his defenses fall when he was tired like this.

"Ready for bed?"

He nods and sits crisscross at the foot of the bed, waiting for her to get comfortable before he found a spot. The human, however, gives him a weird look.

"You're going to sleep... there?"

He tilts his head before realizing he did this out of habit. "No, sorry.. it's an old habit..."

(Y/n) sits on the bed and faces him, grabbing his hands. "I know Sami said it was a group discussion but.. do you really feel comfortable saying anything about it? I promise, you don't have to. I won't make you nor ask any of the others."

He shakes his head. "It's better if you know so that you know our triggers I guess... did you already put them all to sleep?"

"No, but is it really a good idea to ask that of them now?"

"It can't be any worse than anticipating it in the morning."

"Yeah, maybe you're right."

He gets up and goes to gather all the others. One by one, they pile into her room. Max took his seat at the foot of the bed again. Tate crawls onto the bed and leans against her shoulder. Wesley just stands next to the wall. Thatcher leaned against the door while Sami stood beside it, and little Spencer crawled next to her, clinging onto the stuffed animal she had bought him. Fox was the last to come in. He jumps and sits on top of the dresser.

It was silent for a moment.

"So.. who wants to go first," Thatcher says, breaking the silence.

"I guess we should start off by saying that our old master... he was abusive," Sami says, crossing his arms and looking at the floor.

(Y/n) gasps softly and puts a hand over her mouth. "That's awful.."

"I can't really speak for everyone, but it definitely sucked. And it... changed us in a lot of ways."

She nods and looks at her hands. "Why do you trust me then?"

Spencer looks at her and grabs her hand. "You're not like him. You're the kindest human I've ever met," he says, giving her a shy smile. "I'd be super lucky to have a mistress as nice as you!"

The words mistress stuck out in her mind a little. It was like they were just used to being beneath humans. Without really thinking about it, she lifts her hand and puts a finger on his collar. "Why do you guys still wear these?"

They all look away. Sami speaks up. "Taking them off is.. it's a huge disgrace. Without an owner, we almost have no purpose. I guess, in a way, that's what still binds us to him."

Furrowing her eyebrows, she thinks for a moment. "And... how do you get a new master?"

"They'd have to give us collars and," Sami flushes a little and looks away. "Claim us. W-which I'll explain later if you really want to know.."