Prologue

The night was dark. So dark that he couldn't even see his hand in front of him. Perhaps he should have taken it as a bad sign that even the moon was in hiding, but it was too late to back out now. He was in too deep, and if he ran, the only thing that would happen was Jamaal would have him dead. He was easily replaced.

Disposable.

He couldn't risk doing anything wrong now.

He felt his whole body tense as the sound of an engine reached his ears, and the flash of the headlights blinded him, and he momentarily shielded his eyes until the car came to a halt. He stood nervously as the driver turned off the engine, opened the backseat, and stood stiffly until a perfectly polished wing tip shoe appeared stepping out of the limo, the rest of the man appearing, his suit cut to his figure, his hair styled, and a lit cigarette dangling in between his fingers.

He took a couple of steps forward until he was standing a few feet away, and flicked some ash onto the ground before speaking.

"Where is my money?" he rasped, and the other man winced.

"I don't have it yet."

Jamal chuckled, a low gravelly sound, and took a deep puff, before blowing the smoke out in a spiral.

"I've been really patient with you. Too patient." He took another drag. "Where is Muhsin?"

"He doesn't know about my involvement with you."

Jamal's eyebrow raised slightly, and a small smirk appeared at the edges of his mouth.

"How very interesting. Am I right in concluding that no one knows of our little business arrangement?"

The young man said nothing, and Jamal laughed again, waving the hand that held the cigarette in the air.

"You don't have my money right now?"

"No sir."

"Then I want her."

His eyes widened in a panic.

"What?"

Jamal nodded.

"You heard me. I want," he blew out another cloud of smoke, "her."

"I don't think that will work."

"Make it. You make it work, and I'll pardon it all."

"W...what?" the man asked, trembling slightly, and Jamal nodded.

"You don't get me her?" He tossed the cigarette onto the floor, ground it under his heel, and took steps until their noses were almost touching. "There will be hell to pay."