Chapter 39

"Promise me you'll be careful!" Jenna exclaimed for the tenth time since Hudayfah had gotten up, and he laughed, pulling her towards him.

"I already told you I will! I will be as careful as possible!"

"And there is nothing I can do to tempt you to stay?!" she asked, and he shook his head in amusement.

"Sorry darling, but we have to go find Emma. You understand that better than anyone."

She nodded, and waited until he had put on his jacket before throwing her arms around his neck.

"You'll be extra careful?"

He brought his hands around her back.

"Extremely careful."

She pushed away from his chest to peer up into his face.

"And you will get out of there if there is any sign of danger?"

He laughed, and combed his fingers through her hair.

"Any sign at all!"

"And you'll come home to me?" she asked, her eyes watering, and he cupped her cheek, bringing his lips down on hers. She put her hands on his face, kissing him back just as fiercely, and once they had pulled apart, she leaned her forehead against his. "You didn't answer me." She whispered, and he kissed her again.

"InshaAllah I'll come home to you."

She sat quietly, watching him as he finished getting ready, and as he picked up his phone and keys, she tumbled into his arms again.

"Oh Hudayfah." She said quietly, and he pressed his lips to her forehead.

"I love you darling." He said softly, and she stared up at him, clinging to his jacket.

Say it back Jenna.

Tell him you love him.

Say it!

Instead she said nothing, bringing him down for one last kiss, and as she watched him leave their bedroom, she felt fear settle in the pit of her stomach.

***

It was quiet and tense in the car as Rami drove his jeep down the deserted streets, three other cars containing their security team following. They were originally going to take Omar with them, but then they realized there was no one else they could trust to stay with the girls except for him, so he had given detailed directions to Jamaal's house, and they had taken a very weary Muhsin instead.

"Did Rana give you a hard time about going?" Hudayfah asked, and Rami nodded, yawning widely.

"Yeah. Jenna too?"

Hudayfah nodded.

"Yup." He paused to slip his gun into the holster attached to his shoulder. "Gosh the last time I touched a gun was when we all went out the night before I got married."

Rami laughed.

"I don't think a paintball gun counts bro! You should come with me to the shooting range when I go to practice."

Hudayfah shook his head.

"I never thought I would need to use a gun again honestly."

"Is your license still valid?"

"Psh of course. Do you honestly think I'd keep a gun without having the proper papers!?"

Rami grinned.

"That's right I forgot who I'm talking to."

"Do I get a gun?" Muhsin asked from the backseat.

"No!" Hudayfah and Rami shouted in unison, and Muhsin crossed his arms, glaring at them.