Chapter 29

Rana walked into the living room, holding a fresh load of laundry, coming to a halt as she found Rami sitting on the couch.

“Oh. Hello.” She said quietly, and he looked up from the screen and gave her a grin.

“Hey Rana.” He reached over for the remote, and turned off the television. “What are you doing?”

“Just some laundry.”

“Oh do you need help? I’m an excellent folder!”

Rana laughed and shook her head.

“Thanks for the offer but I’m okay.” She perched the basket on the arm of the couch. “What are you doing?”

“Just watching a basketball game.”

She nodded, and traced the rim of the basket with her finger.

“So Rami, when are we going to, you know?”

He sat forward on the edge of the couch, and tented his fingers.

“Well I called your parents, and I called my parents and everyone agreed that it’s up to us. Whenever we want to do it, they will come out here. I think we should do it sooner than later.”

She nodded.

“I agree. What did your parents say when you told them?”

“My dad starting laughing, and my mom said ‘finally!’. Yours?”

Rana smiled.

 My mom said ‘I told you’ and my dad said ‘Good. I like him.’”

Rami threw his head back and laughed, and looked at her adoringly.

“So when do you want to do it?”

She shrugged.

“When do you want to do it?”

“Next week.”

Her eyes widened.

“Next week?!”

“Too soon?”

“Uh yeah!” she exclaimed.

“Well what were you thinking?”

“A few months at least!”

He groaned, and leaned back against the couch.

“No I’ve waited too long already, I don’t want to wait anymore!”

“What do you mean?”

“I’ve waited like too many years to count to be with you. Now that we both admitted to our feelings,” he stood up so he was towering a good few feet above her, “I don’t want to wait any longer Rana. It’s hard to be around you knowing how you feel about me. Don’t make me wait.”

She regarded him for a few seconds, before nodding.

“Okay. Two weeks.”

He smiled.

“I’ll tell our parents.”

***

***

“Jenna I’m bored! You mean to tell me you just sit around here all day?!” Emma whined, and Jenna rolled her eyes from where she sat reading on the couch. It was snowing in New York, and the airports were closed, so her sisters hadn’t been able to leave the day before, and Emma was now getting on Jenna’s nerves with her complaining.  

“No,” she said defensively, even though it was kind of true. Usually Hudayfah’s business days ran until late, and he was too tired to do anything. He had given her leave to go out with one of the men, but ever since what had happened, she had been too scared. “Why don’t you go join Rana and Maria in the garden?”