Chapter 17

Jenna walked next to her brother through the backyard, an awkward silence settled over them like a thick cloud. They had been outside for five minutes now and beyond ‘watch your step’ not a single word had been uttered between them. As she now glanced up at him, she was startled to see that he had a grim expression on his face, but before she could comment on it, he caught her staring at him, and his expression changed instantly to a smile.

“Well you’ve done well for yourself little sis.” He said motioning around them, and she shifted uncomfortably.

“I did nothing. This was your doing remember?”

He smirked.

“So I guess you should thank me.”

Jenna scowled, and wrapped her arms around herself.

“Why are you here Muhsin?”

He paused to pick some mint off of its plant, and after inhaling its scent he tossed it to the ground before looking at her.

“I’m here to see you.”

“Why?”

He shrugged, pulling an apple down from its tree, polishing it on his shirt, and taking a bite.

“I need a reason?”

“Are you here for a loan?”

He didn’t reply, taking another bite from his apple, and she sighed.

“Muhsin, answer me. Did you come out here hoping to get money?”

“I came out here because I got a ticket. Whether it was from Hudayfah or not, it was given to me.”

“Do you remember anything about the guy who gave you the ticket?”

“Nope.”

As Jenna stared at him, waiting for him to say something else, he held her gaze steadily biting into the apple. Just when the crunching sound was beginning to grate on her nerves he spoke.

“Is he treating you right?”

His question startled her and it took her a second to find her voice.

“What do you mean?”

“Hudayfah. Is he doing right by you?”

She nodded.

“Yeah. He is.”

Muhsin took another bite, looking at her thoughtfully.

“I was surprised by how open he was with his affection yesterday.”

“Why is that?”

Muhsin shrugged again, and took another series of bites.

“With your marriage being a sham and all.”

Jenna felt her chest tighten.

“It may have started out like that, but we are doing better. We are starting to have a real relationship!”

Muhsin scoffed.

 “Please little sis. You’re just business in his eyes.”

“Excuse me?”

“You are just something he has to protect. To look out for.”

“What are you talking about!?”

“The men I was involved with, were scary people. Hudayfah saved my butt from getting killed. They would have killed the rest of the family too.”

“Yes I know that’s why I married him!”

Muhsin shook his head.

Jenna blinked.