Chapter 27

Dinner was a fun family affair, though neither Jenna nor Hudayfah said much, both trying not to look at the other. Afterwards they all gathered in the living room to play a game of charades at the insistence of Emma and Ali, before they played some board games. Soon the men gathered in the living room for the reshowing of the basketball game, apparently their favorite Muslim player had proposed in the middle of the half time show, and since Rami and Hudayfah had missed it, they wanted to see it for themselves. The girls gathered in the family room to talk and laugh, but soon Jenna excused herself, not in the mood for gossip and conversation.

As she had to pass through the living room to get to the stairs, she could feel Hudayfah's eyes on her, yet when she turned around to look at him, he had already turned back towards the television. As she climbed the stairs, she walked down the hallway to where Muhsin's room was, and as her brother answered her knock, she opened the door.

"Hey Muhsin." She said quietly, and he looked up from the book he was reading.

"Hey little sis. What's wrong?" he asked, closing his book at the look on her face, and to his astonishment she burst into tears, and for the first time in years, Muhsin hugged his little sister.

"Oh Muhsin." She sobbed, and he patted her back.

"What is it Jen?" he asked worriedly, and she shook her head.

"Hudayfah and I are fighting and I don't know what to do."

"Oh," he said a bit uncomfortably, "what are you fighting about?"

"I confronted him about Marwa."

Muhsin winced.

"I'm sorry I told you that. I wasn't trying to cause a problem between you guys, I was just surprised he didn't tell you something so important."

She nodded.

"No you're right, he should have told me." She sighed, and took the tissue from the box her brother extended towards her. "I just don't like fighting with him."

"It's going to be okay Jen." He said, putting an arm around her, and she leaned into his shoulder, dabbing at her eyes.

"Thank you Muhsin." She blew her nose. "What are you reading?" she asked, and he flushed slightly.

"Um, I'm studying."

She raised an eyebrow.

"Studying what?"

He shifted a bit uncomfortably.

"For the bar."

Her eyes lit up.

"Muhsin! You're going to take the bar again!?"

He nodded.

"Yeah." He ran a hand through his hair. "I guess this has been a wakeup call for me to turn my life around. I mean look at me. I have to be locked up in a room in my little sister's husband's house because I have thugs coming after me." He shook his head. "I don't know what happened to my life. It's like it got away from me. Anyways, I took the test too long ago for me to do anything now, so I plan to take it again in July InShaAllah."

She smiled, and gave him another hug.

"I'm proud of you big bro."

He grinned.

"Thank you."

"How's Omar doing?"

"He's good. We just had a Super Mario Bros marathon."

She laughed.

"Well I better go get ready for bed."

"It will be okay Jenna. You know how I know?"