Chapter 5

Jenna let out a gasp as she shot up from where she had been laying down, and as she took in the darkened cabin around her fear clenched her heart and she began to cry. This dream had been one of the worst ones in quite a while and she wrapped her arms around her knees, rocking back and forth in her seat, her tears flowing freely.

"Hey, hey what's wrong?"

She felt Hudayfah move from his seat, and soon he was crouching next to her, his hands on hers trying to pry them off of her legs. She shook her head, unable to speak, and as she removed her hands from his grip, his face dawned in recognition.

"Another nightmare?" he asked gently, and she nodded before exploding into sobs.

"Don't cry it's okay. I'm here Jenna." He whispered, patting her legs awkwardly, and when her response was to just cry harder, he peered into her face, gently skimming a hand up her arm, and with just that one gesture, it was as if he magically soothed her tears. There was something about his proximity that made her feel safe. Even now she felt the images from her last dream started to fade.

Eventually she stopped crying completely, but he stayed in his position in front of her.

"Better?" he whispered, and she nodded.

"Thank you."

He smiled.

"For what?"

"For helping me. For calming me down twice now even though I've upset you." She said without thinking and as the smile left his face and he frowned slightly, she regretted her words.

"What do you mean you've upset me?"

"I upset you when I made a comment about acting normal in front of Sami, and when I thought you didn't pray, I am sorry." She whispered, and he remained silent for a few seconds before sighing.

"Why do you think I was upset?"

"You've been ignoring me."

He gave a soft laugh.

"I've been giving you space. You haven't exactly been welcoming to me. After all yesterday was our wedding night and you almost had a heart attack when you realized we had to sleep in the same bed."

Jenna was silent as she thought about it, realizing that she was being a bit of a brat. But she was still so angry. She was angry at her dad and at her brother. She was even angry at Hudayfah for being so nice. If he had been mean it would be so much easier for her to hate him.

"It isn't fair." she whispered, and he sighed, leaning down onto his knees.

"I know. I know this isn't the happily ever after you wanted. Believe me I know that. But I am what you got, and if you give me a chance you'll realize I am not a bad guy. I really am not." He put a hand under her chin, and tilted her head so she was looking at him. "Can you do that for me? For us? Can you give me a chance?" he asked quietly, and she looked into his eyes, surprised by the emotion there.

"I don't know." She whispered, and he dropped his hand, his face clouding over with pain.

"I see." He said, and as he stood back up, turning his face from her, she felt the tightness in her chest again. How much was she going to keep hurting this man!?

"Why don't you get some sleep? We still have four more hours until we get to New York."

"What about you?" she asked, tightening the blanket around herself.

"What about me?"

"Aren't you tired?"

"Does it matter what I'm feeling?" he asked, and she winced. However before she could reply, he had slipped on his shoes, and was reaching for the curtain. "I'm going to use the bathroom." He said in a clipped tone, and before she could even react, he had fled their little compartment, the curtain swinging shut behind him.