Rebound

He felt like banging his head on a wall.

Not an unusual feeling by his standards per say-but context did certainly play a role.

"Come now Constantine! You are the only child that I've ever met to openly despise visiting Diagon Alley for your supplies!"

"Where's my bloody award then?"
John rolled his eyes, muttering under his breath.

"This is your second year of Hogwarts-the greatest school of magic in the world!"
Klaus pressed, taking out John's list.
"Chin up!"

"You will require your books, your cloaks, and cauldron-"

John tuned him out, taking a chance to look around the marketing alley once more.

It had been a year since he was condemned to school life-a year! And the mage had gotten nowhere with his research thanks to his overbearing babysitter!

He loosened his tie some, a firm annoyance slipping through as they entered a shop.

Once more, and thankfully without that blasted woman from last time(perhaps an assistant or something, John already preferred this woman as she flat out ignored him), he was forced to stand still on a pedestal as every nook and cranny was poked and measured.

The assistant hadn't told them her name, something in which John thought a little strange but pushed aside.
She was blonde herself; the long and straight hairs pulled up tightly in a professional manner.

The young woman pushed up her glasses as she placed her supplies on a counter, a quill floating in the air and magically writing down notes beside her on a pad of paper.

"You will expect your items Tuesday."

Klaus nodded, politely saying his thanks before shoving the blond out the door.

"Your clothes will be delivered on a later date Mr. Constantine, but for now let us focus on what we can buy outright."
The young man pushed up his own glasses slightly as straightened out his coat.

"Like your class supplies?"
He offered.
"We shall order your cauldron and receive your books firstly. Is this idea manageable?"

"Yep."
John huffed out a small sigh, willing to follow the plan as he had not come up with one himself.

The mage was never a shopping kind of guy-even as a full-fledged adult that had to clothe, feed, and fend for himself.

In short this process was agonizing.

John frowned.
"Hey...don't we have ta hit up Gingerlocks or whatever before we pay for anything else? I never restocked after last year."

"Gringotts, Constantine, and no-the ministry has provided me this year's spending money. While you are only allowed to use this for supplies-not something personal such as a broom."

John titled his head, looking at the other dully.
"Why the hell would I want that?"

Klaus gaped, giving him a puzzled look.

As if something alien left his mouth.

His guardian shook his head, apparently denying himself any say on the matter in favor of another.
"Look Mr. Constantine! We shall get your books here, come along now!"

John rolled his eyes once more, quickening his pace to keep up with the young man.

Instinct allowed him to move out of the way.

A small groups of girls, around 'his age', sped by with rosy cheeks, face splitting grins-and enough giggling to legitimately call them schoolgirls.

Several books were clutched to their chests fiercely.

"-I can't believe he's autographing his books in person!-"

John blinked.

Huh?

Okay-I could've sworn I published this chapter earlier....oh well, sorry for the tardiness! 🥺🙏