Bridges

John was used to it by now.

The looks.
The rumors.

Even from his own house.

They didn't know what to do with him.

On one hand, he's helped save the school and everyone in it.
On the other, he's double-crossed his house by sneaking out from their dorms and teaming up with Gryffindors.

They weren't as...violent...about it as they were last time it happened...just awkward.

But John could feel a boiling point.

A storm brewed and about to spill from over the horizon line.

The mage slipped out the old flowers in favor of newer ones dropped by.

Lockhart was taken by the Aurors.

Ginny was released from the ward.

And the first trials of Mandrake-made potions were about to be administered.

John couldn't tell if he was making any steps forwards or backwards anymore.

"Was there any point at all?"

"I had wondered that myself."

The mage spun around, almost dropping the decayed flowers.

"Malfoy."

"Constantine."

"What brings you down here?"

"I think you know why."

"No. I don't believe I do."

"After all the progress we've made-why are you back petaling?!"

John scowled, wanting to crush the plants in his hands before discarding them altogether and leaning them against the nightstand.

"So that's why you've been buddy-buddy with me all year? Heh-you know, I had my doubts int beginning...but then I thought, maybe-just maybe!-we were starting to get along."
He laughed, somehow...somehow still a little hurt about being right from the start.
"I had never pushed...nudged maybe, I won't lie-but I never bothered you about anything unless you did! Hehe...you said the snakes had each other's backs...that our house, had my back..."

Only then did he turn.

"And I had wanted to believe you."

And he found that he had nothing else to say.

He walked past him, only stopping when he was forced to.

"I don't understand!"

"And like I've said! Draco! You don't have to!"
He pulled his arm back, hurt and done with their back and forth.
"You don't have to fix me when there's nothing wrong with me! Why do you keep trying?!-"
"-because it what's I'm suppose to do!"
He finally let go, loosing his noble facade.
"I don't understand how you think! I don't understand why you can't see like everyone else! Why is it that you can go about your days without a care in the world?! How is it that nothing ever slows you down?! I don't understand why you can't understand that everything is the way it is for a reason!"

Malfoy was left panting, the hand clenched tightly at his sides were slightly trembling.

"Have an answer for you, Draco..."
John begun in a tired voice.
"I don't care."