Part 10: Settle Your Claws

Dawn carries a growling Silbi in her arms, who squirms madly and bares her claws at Emperor Belos. A pair of grey wolf ears popped out from her pink head and a fluffy, grey tail, too. Her dull purple eyes reveal sharp pupils as it brightly glows orange. The little witchling was a snarling little wolf pup, who puts on a wild tantrum while being protective at the same time.

"Bad papa!!" growled Silbi.

The Golden Guard helps Emperor Belos up, who spoke with amusement. "So you are able to cast Beast spells, little one, but that won't be enough to defeat me."

"Rahh!!" snarled Silbi as she tries to escape Dawn's arms, but Dawn holds her back. "Stop it, Silbi! Heel! I said, heel!"

Silbi manages to break free and jumps out of Dawn's arms. She pounces and runs on all fours and charges straight for Emperor Belos. The emperor cast his first spell with giant vines bursting from the ground and forms a cage around Silbi. Silbi growls as she casts her counterspell: her hands and feet glow a steaming red as she runs around inside the cag, like some circus motorcyclist. The vines get burnt with every step Silbi takes and soon they break and fall apart from the intense heat.

Silbi leaps all around and soon mini misshapen abominations come out from the ground and surround Emperor Belos and the Golden Guard. The young teen wields his staff while the older witch casts his next spell. "You need to be taught a lesson, witchling."

Emperor Belos uses his staff and release an icy wind and freezes the abominations. They froze in their spots while Silbi lands on one of their heads. "Bad dada! Bad dada! Bad dada!"

"Settle your tantrum, child," said Emperor Belos as he summons these red hands to grab Silbi.

Silbi leaps into the air and avoids the monstrous hands that pop out of the floor. Silbi uses construction magic by launching her frozen abominations from the ground. Each mini abomination was shot off and aims for Emperor Belos and the Golden Guard, who quickly casts a shield spell to protect himself and his lord.

"You need a timeout, brat!" shouted the Golden Guard as he uses the same red magic.

Silbi's body glows red as she was lifted up from the ground. Silbi snarls furiously and flails her tiny limbs frantically. Dawn watches in both horror and dumbstruck before seeing her opportunity. As soon as Silbi was caught Dawn dashes forward and tackles Silbi. They both roll on the ground while Dawn holds Silbi protectively.

Silbi continues with her tantrum and wails loudly from the top of her lungs. Dawn hushes Silbi and hugs her close reassuringly. "It's okay, Silbi. I'm fine. He didn't hurt me. Shh, it's okay."

Silbi wanted to fight more and punish the mean monster, but soon she calms down and her growling turns into sobbing. Her wolf ears and tails disappear as she starts crying. Dawn shushes soothingly and slowly stands up while holding Silbi. Emperor Belos and the Golden Guard lowered their staffs and watches with great caution.

Silbi cries in Dawn's chest as Dawn slowly manages to calm Silbi down. The witchling's face was covered in snot and tears and hiccups escape her mouth. Dawn sighs in relief while she wipes Silbi's tears before looking back at the emperor. They stare at each other for a long while when Dawn breaks the moment and bows her head.

"Please, excuse us," said Dawn as she turns around and exits the room with Silbi.

Emperor Belos watched the two girls leave while Kikimora almost bumps into them. She looked like a mess herself since Silbi had tired her up with plant and abomination magic. Kikimora pants heavily but gasps at the sight of the throne room.

"My lord! What happened here?!" exclaimed Kikimora.

Emperor Belos gave his order. "Nevermind that, Kikimora. For now, have the scouts clean this place up."

"B-But . . ." Kikimora wanted to say more when the Golden Guard interrupts her. "Do as he says, Kikimora!"

Kikimora glares at the young teen before leaving them to gather the scouts. Emperor Belos sighs heavily yet chuckles weakly. The Golden Guard goes to his uncle and supports him when he almost loses balance. "Uncle, are you alright?"

Emperor Belos groans softly while holding his head. "I'm perfectly fine, Hunter. However, that witchling fought with spirit."

"Why did she attacked you? How did she get here so quickly?" asked Hunter while worrying for his uncle.

"She probably sensed something was wrong and thought Dawn was in danger," said Emperor Belos and holds on to his nephew. "She thought I was going to harm her."

"Were you?" asked Hunter curiously.

The emperor didn't answer right away and thought about it for a moment before looking away slightly. ". . . No."

~~~

Dawn was able to soothe Silbi after more than two hours of cuddling and rocked her to sleep. Silbi takes a small nap and sucks her thumb for comfort. Dawn tucks her in and brushes Silbi's hair aside to kiss her forehead.

"Everything is alright, Silbi. Rest your little head," whispered Dawn. "Thank you for protecting me."

Silbi sleeps soundly and snuggles in her blanket and pillow. Dawn lightly pat Silbi's back and hums softly to her when a knock came from her door. She had a bad feeling but knew she couldn't ignore it and goes to the door. Dawn opens and finds the Golden Guard standing there.

"Human. Er, what happened earlier, I, uh, um . . ." The Golden Guard tries to speak but he looked a little nervous and felt extremely awkward. Dawn blinks at the young teen confused when he spoke again. "I just want to say . . . I-I'm sorry."

Now Dawn was really confused as she stares at this young witch. "Okay. Who are you, and why you be super nice now?"

"What?! I'm trying to apologize!" exclaimed the Golden Guard while Dawn shushes him and closes the door behind her. Dawn explains, "Silbi's sleeping right now. She's just barely taking her nap."

The Golden Guard frowns under his mask but said, "Right. Anyways, I also have a message from the emperor. He wants to talk with you tonight."

"Yeahhh, no way, pal," said Dawn.

"What?! You can't decline him!" exclaimed the Golden Guard and groans with frustration. "Listen. I REALLY think you should go see him. Besides, he . . . I think he also wants to apologize. To you."

Dawn crosses her arms and narrows her eyes suspiciously at the Golden Guard, who grudgingly pleads. "Please. I think uncle feels guilty for scaring you and hurting Silbi."

"Why do you defend him, Golden Guard?" asked Dawn. "Hasn't he hurt you?"

"T-That's none of your business!" replied the Golden Guard and added, "Besides, I deserved my punishments in the past."

Dawn was doubtful since the Golden Guard seemed like a dutiful servant to the emperor. A lad shrouded in golden light but there is a slight hint of pain in his young voice. Even if his uncle was cruel, and this lad is fully aware of it, he still wishes to help his dear uncle. He probably endures all that pain for the love of his only family member. To save his only family.

Dawn sighs and rubs her face tiredly before answering. "Okay. I'll talk to him tonight."

"You will?!" asked the Golden Guard excitedly but quickly gets his composure. "I mean, thank you. Please come after midnight. He'll talk to you then."

Dawn nodded and returns to her room and closes the door behind her. She goes to Silbi's side and sits beside her while watching her sleep. "I'm sorry I couldn't protect you, Silbi, but I guess I couldn't even protect myself. That's why you're suffering. I promise I'll do better."

Silbi scoots closer to Dawn and sleepily grips on to her pants. Dawn sighs sadly and continues to hum for her little witchling.