Part 28: Jealousy

They reached the castle gates and waiting there was Emperor Belos. Silbi jumps down from Dawn's arms and runs to the emperor. "Papa!!"

"Hello there, birthday girl," greeted Belos as he kneels down and opens his arms to Silbi.

She runs into his arms and snuggles in his chest while Belos carries her and strokes her head. "Looks like you had a fun time, little one. You should've told me today was your birthday."

"Nobody asked," replied Silbi and not minding.

Belos chuckles lightly before turning to Dawn and Darius. The Head Witch bows his head to his ruler while Dawn gave a small smile. "Hi, Belos. I'm sorry we didn't leave a note or anything, but---"

"It's alright, Dawn. Darius already notified me before you left," said Belos. "I just wish I had a gift for our little one here. Oh, but maybe I do?"

Belos pulls out a brand new doll and waves it at Silbi. Silbi's eyes widen at the pretty doll with short, bright blond hair; wearing a frilly, puffy, red dress; a petite pair of rosy lips smiling; two big, pale blue eyes with long lashes, and, of course, pointed ears.

Silbi stares at the doll mesmerized and holds out her little hands for it. Belos gives the doll while Silbi hugs her new friend along with Darius's doll. Dawn thought the fancy doll was very pretty but its glassy stare creeped her out a bit.

Darius then spoke, "I shall take me leave. Please, excuse me, my liege."

Darius bows to the emperor and was about to turn away when Silbi scurries toward him and grabs his cape.

"Thank meow!" chirped Silbi while holding up her abomination cat doll. "Friend!"

Darius blinks at Silbi but then smirks and pats her head. "You better take good care of it, pup, and don't cause me any more trouble in the future. Got it?"

"Goo!" cooed Silbi. "No promises, meow!"

Darius shrugs playfully. "Of course."

Silbi giggles and Dawn steps forward and smiles at Darius. "Thank you again for everything, Darius. I really appreciate what you did for Silbi today. I hope we can talk again soon."

Darius nods to Dawn and bows to her before leaving the castle grounds. He wanted to say more but knew the emperor was watching them closely. Dawn watches him leave and then picks up Silbi. "Okay, birthday girl. Time for bed."

"Me sweepy," said Silbi as she hugs her new dolls. "I gots new friends to sleep with."

"Yes, you do, cutie," said Dawn smiling.

Belos escort the girls back to their room, and then he and Dawn put Silbi to bed. Silbi sucks her thumb while her tiny arms wrap around the pretty and abomination dolls. Dawn kissed Silbi's head after tucking her in when Belos whispers to her.

"Let's talk, Dawn."

He takes Dawn's hand and intertwines his gloved fingers with hers. Belos takes Dawn out of the room and strolls through the castle together. Dawn noticed Belos holding her hand firmly in his as if afraid of letting go.

"Is something wrong, Belos?" asked Dawn finally.

"No." So he says and despite the smile on his face Dawn notices a hint of force in his tone.

She blinks confused and was about to ask when suddenly Belos pulls her close. Dawn falls into his arms which wrap around her tightly. She squeaks when Belos did this as he sighs in her ear. "I've missed you, my dear. So much."

Dawn glanced at her lover and wraps her arms around his back. "You okay, Belos? You're usually not so clingy."

Belos didn't answer right away and was savoring this moment before replying. "The preparations for the Day of Unity have been keeping me busy, so I feel like I haven't seen you in ages, Dawn."