Part 43: Silbi Sliverling and Thy Creature

Silbi wakes up early to watch the rising sun with a blanket wrapped around her.

Yulong rests on her shoulders as he nuzzles her cheek softly. Eda's mom, Gwendolyn Clawthorne, comes out of the house and joins Silbi's side.

"Come inside, sweetflea. Your breakfast will get cold," said Gwendolyn gently.

"Goo . . ." Silbi pouts and clutches on to her blanket tightly.

Mrs. Clawthorne stares down at the little witch sorrowfully while her palisman flies over to her side. Hawsley sits beside Silbi, who wraps her little arms around him and into her blanket for a hug.

"Poor witchling . . ." commented Gwendolyn sadly.

They haven't heard from Lilith or Eda since they dropped off Silbi days ago. The Clawthornes were beginning to worry for their daughters and grandkids but knew the Emperor's Coven was after Silbi, too.

Yulong and Hawsley nuzzle close to Silbi when another palisman joins them. It was a small yellow cardinal perched on top of Silbi's head. Dell Clawthorne comes out and joins his wife, knowing she was worried for Silbi.

"I'll talk to her," reassured Dell to his wife. "Don't worry. Everything's going to be okay."

Gwendolyn stares at her husband with worry before nodding and returns back inside. Dell walks over and sits beside Silbi, who continues to stare at the morning sun.

Mr. Clawthorne stares at the morning sun, too, before saying, "Lilith has told us a lot about you, little one. And so has Bat Queen."

"Mmm . . ." grumbled Silbi.

Dell continues, "First your parents, then your grandmother, and now your human."

"Mama!" corrected Silbi as she frowns.

Dell glances back at her and nods. "Oops. Pardon me, little one."

Silbi glares at Dell adorably before stubbornly looking away. Dell stares down at Silbi before saying, "Would you like to come with me, Silbi? To go plant some palistrom seeds."

"Goo?" Silbi looks back at Dell half curious. There was something about the old man that reminded Silbi of someone. She sees Eda in him, of course, but there was someone else, too. She just couldn't quite put her wittle finger on who.

Her little stomach growls hungrily and Yulong nudges at her. Dell chuckles, "How about we eat first before going out? After all, you need your energy and strength. Who else is going to save your mother?"

"Me! Me! Me!" declared Silbi and raises her hand, waving madly.

The palismen smiles and so does Dell as he stands up wearily.  He offers his hand to Silbi, who saw the scars and uncontrollable shakiness. She takes it with her little hands and examines the scars curiously. Dell lets her before he takes her back inside.

~~~

After breakfast, Dell takes Silbi to the forest where he shows her where he planted the seeds. He tells her stories of his daughters when they were young and bits of their family history. Silbi listens with Yulong wrapped around her shoulders. She also tells Mr. Clawthorne her own stories from the castle to things she learned from her grandmother. Dell listens wholeheartedly as he holds Silbi's tiny hand.

Dell then asks, "Silbi. You've wandered these woods with Bat Queen, right? Do you know anyone by the name Adam?"

"Goo?" Silbi turns to Dell and thinks about it for a second. "Nope! Me not know!"

Dell stares at Silbi worriedly before asking, "Do you know if you have any siblings? Maybe a big brother?"

Silbi stares at Dell confused and only shakes her head. "No."