Part 24: Philip Wittebane pt. 1

(Woof! This was a challenge. This became too long so I'm making two parts for this chapter. Enjoy!)

Hooty invited Dawn and Silbi to "Lulu's" party and listened to Hooty's toast. Dawn searches for Luz, but it was a little awkward since she didn't know most of the guests besides Steve and the inhabitants of the Owl House. She got to meet Eda's mom, who's very sweet and kind-looking. Gwendolyn lightly pinches Silbi's cheek while the witchling is okay with it and stares at the older witch curiously.

Silbi holds her big cup with both her tiny hands while Dawn tries to restrain her urge to yawn. She's been avoiding sleep now since there is so much to do in so little time. The Day of Unity is in less than a month and Dawn still hasn't figured out Belos's plan. Luz helped a lot but Dawn still had her worries regarding Silbi.

"Mama?" asked Silbi, who sits on Dawn's lap.

"Huh? Yes, Silbi?" replied Dawn tiredly.

"You need a nap," said Silbi. "Naps are important."

"I know, sweetheart," said Dawn. "I'll take a nap later, okay?"

Silbi stares at her worriedly and knew Dawn is forcing herself to stay awake.

Dawn then met Flora D'esplora, who smiles at Silbi. "Well, aren't you adorable? Keep up your studies and maybe you'll be a great adventurer like me someday! Exploring the world!"

Silbi stares at Flora before replying. "I already explore worlds. How many have you explored?"

Dawn had to hold back her snickering while Flora looked embarrassed. She laughs nervously and said, "Oh, haha, you're such an amusing little toddler! Excuse me."

She leaves while Silbi eats an eyeball from her cup. Dawn giggles and pats Silbi's head.

"Hi, Dawn! Hey there, Silbi!" called Luz as she approache them. "Whoa, Dawn. Are you okay? You seem exhausted."

"Thanks for noticing," replied Dawn sarcastically. "I'm fine really."

"Mama refuses bedtime," said Silbi.

"What? Dawn, you haven't slept?" asked Luz incredibly worried.

Dawn let out a big yawn before shaking her head. "Don't worry about it me, Luz. I'll be fine. What about you? I didn't see you for the toasting."

"We were busy," answered Luz and pulls up her party hat to show the echo mouse.

"Mousey," chirped Silbi.

"Cute." Dawn reaches her hand out to pet the echo mouse when suddenly she felt that urge come back.

She almost loses consciousness but quickly Dawn forces herself to stay awake. Luckily, she was sitting on the couch so no one noticed but Luz and Silbi take her arms and supports her up.

Luz gasped, "That's not drowsiness. Have you been pushing the curse back this whole time? How's that even possible? Do you use potions?"

"No, but . . ." Dawn shrugs and rubs her temples. ". . . I just have so much to do and I can't risk doing another month of sleeping. You're working so hard to make the portal door and I can't do diddly-squat when I'm in my cursed sleep! I have to stay awake!"

"But Dawn," said Luz, "You might cause more damage than harm. Maybe you should leave the party early and get some shut-eye. Even if you do fall for your cursed sleep, maybe it'll be for a short time. Maybe it won't be a month. We've seen that happen before."

"Still, every portion of time is precious now," said Dawn and let out a sigh. "I'm scared."

Luz place her hand on Dawn's shoulder and gave her an encouraging smile. "You're not alone this time, Dawn. Sleep or not, we'll be there for you."