Part 29: Prophetic Nightmare

"I'm home!" called Philip Wittebane as he enter his home.

"Daddy!" cried his eldest daughter, Silbi.

"Father!" called the younger son.

The two Edwardian children in peasant clothing tackled their father for a hug and almost pushed him down. Silbi had round ears instead of her pointy witch ears, black hair instead of pink with no blue tinge, and brown eyes instead of purple. The boy had round ears and brown hair like his father while inheriting his mother's light green eyes.

Philip laughs amusingly and pats his children's heads while Dawn comes out in an Edwardian frock. Her hair is pinned up in a bun as she wipes her hands on her apron from cooking in the kitchen.

"Children, don't be so rough with your father," said Dawn and giggled.

"But, mama! Daddy's super tough!" countered Silbi.

"That's right!" agreed her little brother. "Father is the strongest here in the whole village! And we're gonna be just as strong as him when we're older!"

Philip chuckles and lets go of his children. "That's enough, children. Do as your mother tells you, or else you won't receive your gifts."

"Gifts?! What is it?!" exclaimed the children excitedly.

Philip playfully replies "I'm not telling you imps anything. You'll have to wait until tonight."

"Meanie!" frowned Silbi.

"Traitor!" exclaimed the brother. "Burned the witch!"

"You'll have to catch me first, human," taunted Philip while he and his children play around.

Dawn places her hands on her hips and shakes her head disapprovingly. She squeaks when Philip hides behind and uses her as a shield. "Stand back! Lest ye want me to bestow a curse on this fair maiden!"

"Fiend!" exclaimed the brother.

"That's foul play!" exclaimed Silbi.

Dawn giggles, but plays along. "Oh, no! Save me, brave heroes! Save me from this evil being!"

The children tackled their parents with Silbi rescuing their mother while the brother attacks his father. The boy wields a wooden sword carved by his father and stabs at him while Philip acts like a wounded man.

The boy shouts triumphantly. "I have slain the beast!! No more shall he bring horror upon us, for I am his worst nightmare!!"

The four of them laugh heartedly while they join in a group hug. Dawn asks while smiling, "By the way, where's Hunter?"

"Who?" asked Philip still laughing.

Dawn looks at Philip confused and asks again. "Hunter? Your nephew?"

"Darling, I don't have a nephew. Otherwise, Caleb would've told me about it," said Philip before adding, "Oh! Speaking of which, children, your uncle is coming over for a visit. He says he has a special surprise."

"Yay!!!" cheered Silbi and her brother.

"Who? Uncle?" Dawn raises a brow. "You never told me you had a brother."

"Oh, don't be silly, my dear. He was at our wedding, remember? He was my best man," said Philip and helps Dawn up to her feet.

"Wha? No, we're not . . ." Dawn stops herself.

She then took a moment to re-examine her surroundings and the people around her. This wasn't the castle. This wasn't her family. And Philip was not her lover. Dawn felt a great dread hang over her when the little boy takes her hand.

 "Mother, are you alright?"

Dawn stares at the little boy and slowly removes her hand from his. ". . . This isn't real. This isn't real!! Why Philip?! What up with Silbi?! I-I-I don't have a son!!"

Everything around her freezes in place before shattering like broken glass. The Edwardian home falls apart around Dawn except for the little boy, who stares at Dawn blankly.

His sweet, innocent face slowly forms into a cunning smile as he places his little finger on his lips. 

"Yet."

A haunting giggle escapes his grinning lips before Dawn falls into the abyss. The little boy casually waves at Dawn without a care, but a smirking Moon hovers over him as if targeting the little boy.

"No!!! Don't touch him!!!" cried Dawn as she reaches her hand out.

A bright light comes from below as she closes her eyes and forces herself to wake up.

"Wake up!! WAKE UP!!!"