Part 13: A New Season

Around the time of the Petrification Ceremony, Dawn has been sleeping for two months, the longest she has ever slept now. Since then, Silbi stays by her side, waiting for Dawn to awaken. Silbi felt guilty for putting Dawn to sleep, but that voice told her to in order to protect the human. The witchling even brought flowers and placed them around Dawn's healing chamber.

"Goo . . . Mama," said Silbi worriedly, who stands at the edge of Dawn's bed on her toes.

Silbi had not seen the ceremony so she doesn't know about her grandmother's fate. She saw the photo album in her room but was more concerned for Dawn than checking or asking about it. Silbi stares at the sleeping human when Emperor Belos enters the healing chambers. He goes to the witchling's side and pats her head gently.

"Silbi, I know you're worried for your friend here," said Emperor Belos in that fatherly voice. "But you can't spend your days like this. You should be playing or practicing your magic, little one. I'll look after Dawn and have the healers check on her again. Okay?"

Silbi coos sadly without moving from her spot. Emperor Belos sighs and goes to pick up the witchling and cradles her in his arms. They both stare at Dawn's sleeping face with worry when the emperor spoke.

"You know, little one, if you practice your magic, maybe you can help dear Dawn with her condition," suggested the emperor. "Perhaps you can awaken her."

Silbi looks up at the emperor with those big eyes of hers. She probably can, but she didn't know if she should. When Silbi cast the spell on Dawn months ago she heard a voice telling her the spell. While Silbi knew she was capable of reversing it she didn't know the spell for it. Unless the voice tells her.

"Goo . . ." Silbi lowers her head sadly and snuggles close to the emperor. He sighs again and, in his mind, could tell Silbi has much to learn. "Come, little one. Let us leave and come back later. We have much work to do."

So the emperor exits Dawn's healing chamber with Silbi, who took one last look at her before leaving. It was like this every day and at night the emperor would find Silbi back with Dawn. The witchling would fall asleep by the human and the emperor would come and carry her back to her room.

One night, Emperor Belos comes back to the healing chambers and checks in on Dawn. He didn't know why, but seeing her sleeping face brought a sense of comfort after a tiring day of work. Her pretty little face soothed Belos's weary heart. While Emperor Belos wish to hear Dawn's voice again, he was also glad for her curse.

He could tell she was against his way of ruling and if she knew more than surely she would side with that other human and the Owl Lady. No, that will never happen, thought Belos, that must never happen. I won't let her ruin my plans after so many years. All my hard work would be gone! Despite yearning for Dawn's smile, he also knew she would reject him if she knew his plans for the Day of Unity.

A slight pain stings his chest, but he didn't look away from Dawn's sleeping face. He gently stroke her cheek and never forgotten her strange kiss. Belos couldn't help but chuckle and whispers in Dawn's ear even if his voice rings with pain.

"My precious dear," he began and clutches his chest tightly, "You continue to allure me with your innocent ways. It's a pity we're on different sides. You, who pretends to be the hero, and me, your vile villain. Please, stay as my naive human for just a little longer."

He removes his hand from Dawn's face and finally leaves the healing chamber. For now, he needed to prepare for the Day of Unity after retrieving the portal door from Luz.

"I won't allow anyone to stop me. Not even you, my dear Dawn."