Chapter One: Five Years Ago

“You look amazing,” Cathy Fischer gushed smiling at her best friend, she couldn’t believe that it had been three years since Sansa Farber had started dating Marco Reus; she was a little jealous of the relationship that the two shared.

Sansa turned to look at her best friend, it seemed unreal that Marco was taking her out to dinner; she knew he was usually so busy with training with Borussia Mönchengladbach plus preparing for the world cup that was coming that summer.

“You think so,” Sansa asked smiling nervously at her friend, she couldn’t believe that Marco was taking her out to dinner and she had a feeling that she knew why.

Marco had been far from secretive of the fact that he wanted to marry her, she had even heard that he had picked up an engagement ring the other week and she was so excited.

Cathy nodded her head admiring the red V-neck metallic trim dress paired with black strappy heeled sandals that Sansa was wearing, she doubted that Marco would care what she was wearing as long as she said yes to the question that he had to ask.

“I know so,” Cathy replied trying to calm Sansa’s nervous, she wanted her friend to be happy and she hoped that things would work out so well; she brushed some brown hair from her face before peeking at the clock.

Marco had asked her to help him pick out the ring that he was going to propose with and Cathy was excited at the idea that she would be Sansa’s maid-of-honour at the wedding.

Sansa was just about to head off to her second year of university and Cathy knew that her friend was going to go far in life; her parents were going to push her to be the best that she could ever be.

“Is Marco picking you up?” Cathy asked knowing that the footballer had been rushed off his feet that morning trying to get everything ready for their date; she hadn’t been able to stop herself from laughing at him.

Sansa looked at the clock and shook her head, she would have to get going if she wasn’t going to be late; she couldn’t keep Marco waiting for her.

“No… he’s meeting me at the restaurant,” Sansa replied looking at the mess that her bedroom was in, she didn’t have time to tidy up and she was going to be late; she chewed on her lip making Cathy laugh.

Cathy got to her feet and slowly started to lead Sansa out of her apartment, she would handle the tidying up while Sansa had a wonderful evening with Marco; something that she deserved.

“You better get a move on then or you will be late,” Cathy teased not letting Sansa protested before she ushered her best friend out the door and shut the door behind her.

Sansa stared for a moment before she shook her head, she walked away from her apartment and left it behind; she doubted Cathy would take no for an answer anyway.

Sansa didn’t get far before one of her neighbours doors opened and they stepped out, she jumped in surprise not expecting anyone to come out especially Connor Steward; she had always been a little on edge when it came to him.

“Connor you scared me,” Sansa exclaimed trying not to show how nervous she was, he was always staring at her and she knew that Marco wasn’t overly fond of the man whenever he saw him.

Connor smirked eyeing Sansa up and down, she looked beautiful and he hated the thought that Marco got to have her; he hated the footballer and he wasn’t going to let him have all the fun.

“After you,” Connor mused allowing Sansa to walk ahead of him down the stairs, a twisted plan forming in his mind about what he could do before they reached the bottom.

***

“She’s late,” Marco Reus muttered annoyed, he looked at his watch knowing that Sansa had never been late for anything in his life; he was getting a little worried since Cathy had assured him that she had left nearly an hour ago.

Marco wondered for a moment if something had happened, he knew that Sansa would have called him by now and he was worried that she might have run into some sort of delay.

The sound of his phone ringing made Marco sigh in relief, he pulled it out and smiled when he saw that it was Sansa calling him; he hoped that she wasn’t going to be much longer, they were going to lose their reservations if she didn’t get there soon.

“Sansa… where are you?” Marco asked answering the call and pressing the phone to his ear, his green eyes looking around the restaurant knowing that people were watching him.

Marco frowned at the sound of Sansa’s sniffles, she was clearly crying and it worried him; tonight was meant to be a happy night for them and he didn’t want anything to ruin it.

“Are you okay?” Marco asked concerned, he hated the thought of Sansa crying and he wished that he knew what had happened; he sighed when she started to apologise while a small smile formed on his lips at her words.

“Don’t apologise liebe… how long will you be?” Marco mused eager to get the night started, he peeked at the black box that sat on the table knowing that he couldn’t wait to ask her to marry him.

Marco felt his heart stop when Sansa told him that she wasn’t going to be there, she kept apologising and it worried him; she sounded broken and he wished he’d gone to pick her up.

“What do you mean?” Marco whispered feeling his heart pound in his chest, he could feel that something had happened and it was starting to scare him.

Marco sat numbly as Sansa broke things off with him, he couldn’t believe that this was happening especially when they were meant to be getting engaged; none of this made sense to him.

***

Sansa sobbed as she ended the call, her already broken heart crumbled at the thought of what she had just done to Marco; she was sure that he would hate her and never forgive her for what happened.

“You didn’t have to do that,” Cathy whispered sitting down on the hospital bed, she was horrified what had happened to her friend and she knew that Sansa was suffering right now.

Marco would have understood if Sansa had told him what was going on but the blonde seemed determined for him not to know the truth; she had been assaulted and her attacker had disappeared.

“He deserves better… I’m no longer pure,” Sansa sniffled looking down at her hands, she felt sick that some other man had touched her and she hated that it had happened to her.

Cathy had found her crumped down the bottom of the stairs and had called an ambulance as she had been leaving Sansa’s apartment; it had all been a horrible shock for her.

Cathy opened her mouth to say something when the police stepped into the room, she wished that there was something that she could do to help but Sansa needed support right now and she wasn’t going to push her friend away.

Marco would just have to wait a little while until Sansa got a little better, Cathy doubted that he would just let this go; he loved Sansa more than anything and he wouldn’t avoid her.

“I’ll give you a moment,” Cathy murmured walking out of the hospital room, her head was spinning with what had happened and she wished that she had called Marco before Sansa had.

Now it was only a matter of time before Marco found out the truth about why Sansa had ended things.