- 21 -

^ Davina's Dress Above ^

DAVINA WAS LUCKY that Regulus also attended Slughorn's dinner parties. She knew that Remus and Lily were both a part of it and chose to attend together. She was thoroughly surprised when she saw James Potter also getting ready for the evening. It didn't sit well with Sirius knowing that besides Peter, he was the only one of his friends not invited, so James rarely attended. 

This time around, they had devised a plan to find out more about the treacherous girl. James was attending to back up Remus and Lily. They all knew that the first party was normally introductory and they wanted to find everything they could about Davina. 

"How come you aren't in it?" Davina asked Maisie, who was preparing Blair's hair. The older girl had gotten in last year but denied the offer. Slughorn was a persistent little shit so she thought she might as well. 

"Cause I blow up almost every potion I make," she said, looking Davina up and down. "You look gorgeous by the way"

"Don't I know?" Davina said, smirking slightly at her image in the floor length mirror. She was wearing a black floral dress that flared out at the bottom. The dress hugged her upper waist and the material was slightly see-through. What she really loved about the dress though was the way it flared when she walked, it reminded her of Snape's cloak. 

Snickering slightly at the thought, she stood back and admired Blair's dress. Blair was wearing a black dress too but hers hugged her figure. The long slit down her leg would have guys and girls lining up just for a look and Davina was in awe. 

"Bloody hell" she murmured, looking Blair up and down. 

"Thanks" she blushed. She turned back to her vanity and looked at herself in the mirror. 

"Who's your date?" Davina asked. 

"James," she said, sighing at the pendent that adorned her neck. She loved it really but she felt that it didn't fit with the vibe she was going for. She attempted to take it off but was stopped by her sister who shook her head and smoothed the necklace down on her neck. 

"I assume you're going with Regulus," Maisie said, a small smirk on her face. 

"For the love of god Mace, we're friends. F-R-I-E-N-D-S, we're just friends" she sighed. 

"Yeah and Sirius is in love with me," Maisie said. 

The two girls bid Maisie goodbye and walked out of the common room towards the great hall entrance where they'd meet their dates.

"Merlin Vina, let a guy have a moment" Regulus stated, a hand to his heart. Davina giggled at the boy before hooking their arms together. 

"You clean up nice" she complimented, taking a moment to admire his black wizarding robes. 

"Of course I do, I'm a Black," he said haughtily, causing the girl to erupt into giggles. The pair walked to Slughorn's talking and laughing as if they'd known each other for years. In all honesty, they felt like it too. 

When Davina walked in all eyes turned to her. Remus felt his mouth go dry. She looked like a goddess in her outfit and it made his eyes widen in awe. She was perfect, and Remus wanted a part in it. The dress accented her curves and left room for your imagination. 

"Come on Remus, try to make it any less obvious" Lily laughed, smiling at the girl who appeared to be laughing at something Regulus said. Lily realised that the girl rarely laughed as much as she did in his presence, it was almost as if they had been friends forever. 

"Ms Evergreen" Slughorn greeted cheerfully. "Lovely to have you with us" 

"The pleasure is mine sir," she said, her pureblood etiquette kicking in.

"Tell us, dear, what of your parents?" 

"They passed a while ago, I live with Aberforth in Hogshead"

"Ah, Aberforth, a lovely gentleman" 

"Indeed" she hummed, taking a sip of whatever was in her goblet. She could feel Regulus's hand lacing with hers and squeezing to offer her comfort.  

"I heard from Albus that you transferred from Beaxbatons" 

"Oui!" she exclaimed, the french sounding absolutely natural on her tongue. 

"Tu parles français?" Regulus question, a surprised look on his face. 

(You speak French?)

"Vous ne pouviez pas dire avant" She said sarcastically, causing the other boy to chuckle. 

(You couldn't tell before)

"Je ne pensais pas que Sirius t'apprendrait" he stated, "Il a toujours détesté la langue. J'ai prétendu que c'était trop chic" 

(I didn't think Sirius would teach you. He's always hated the language. Claimed it was too posh)

"C'est parce qu'il ne l'a pas fait, Narcissa l'a fait." 

(That's because he didn't, Narcissa did)

There was a tone in her voice that clearly indicated that the conversation should stop. Regulus didn't know all the details from the future, he didn't know of his brother's arrest, only that he was in danger.

 Remus couldn't help but watch her throughout the whole evening. The way she used her hand to cover her mouth to try to cover the snort that escaped her when Regulus said something funny. The way she would sip her wine to try to stop a conversation with someone she wasn't interested in or didn't want to partake in. The way she looked over at him with a look in her eyes that he was never able to identify. 

Davina herself tried her best not to glance at the man seated directly across her. The way he gave Lily his undivided attention when she asked him anything or pointed out something. The way his eyes would flitter through the crowd around him and he'd take the opportunity to analyse and look at his fellow peers. Or the way he'd look at her and she'd be reminded of the man she lost and the new man that stood in his place. She felt disgusted to be attracted to him, but in all honesty, she couldn't deny that she wasn't attracted to him in the future when he was a professor. 

"Stop staring at Lupin" Regulus whined, pulling her attention back. She blushed a dark red before scowling at the boy. 

"I was not staring at Remus" she exclaimed in outrage. 

"Remus?" he said waggling his eyebrows in emphasis. This earned him a hard shove in reply. 

"Why don't you go talk to him"

"No"

"No?" he echoed. 

"I can't do that to myself" she sighed sadly. 

"You're allowed to have a childhood too you know," Regulus said. 

"How can I?" she said turning to look at the boy with a foreshadowing look in her eyes. 

"When destruction is all I've known"

^ Blair's dress ^