- 49 -

TODAY WAS IT

TODAY WAS IT

Hogwarts offered her a small amount of comfort in goodbye but her chest continued to ache.

She smiled her best today. Cheering whenever anyone asked her a question and smiling despite being wrong.

She got a few weird glances but people were so caught up in their summer holiday plans that they didn't regard it.

Remus had asked her once but  she had responded with being excited for the holidays and it was forgotten.

In reality she was not looking forward for the holidays. In her time, Dumbledore had retrieved the Gaunt ring and she had no idea where that was. Her first plan was to go back to the orphanage and see if she could figure out where he was born. Maybe that had some significance? after all Voldemort was a sentimental bastard.

She shoved the remaining clothes into her trunk before sealing it. She remembered to reapply the charms that kept the Horcruxes hidden.

"You'll visit right?" Maisie asked out of the blue.

"Of course I will Mais!" Davina replied cheerfully, pulling the girl into a warm and strong hug.

"Then why does this sound like goodbye."

Davina smiled into the hug. Maisie was too smart for her own good.

"You're so silly," Davina laughed, soaking the warmth she knew she would miss. She then turned to Blair and pulled the girl into a strong hug. Blair smiled softly at the girl in her arms before rubbing her back softly and placing a feather light kiss on her hair. 

"We'll see you soon." 

Davina smiled slightly and hummed in agreement. She spent the rest of the evening helping the girls pack, jamming to ABBA and enjoying each others company. She laughed when Maisie pulled Blair in for a duet and wheezed when they decided to play charades. 

Davina collapsed next to Maisie. The pair of the were knocked out from laughing and Blair had left 5 minutes ago to say goodbye the other 7th years. The two girls lay in silence before Maisie turned onto her side and rested her face on her open palm. 

"I'm scared." 

She had whispered it so quietly that Davina had struggled to hear it herself. She turned to glance at her friend, noticing the mist in her eyes and the saddened look on her face. Davina turned over and copied the position her friend laid in. 

"I get it." She said back, just as softly. 

"I feel like everyone just says that but they don't..." she paused trying to find the right words. "...understand you know?" 

Davina just hummed in answer. 

"What makes them more entitled to magic than me? I deserve it just as much as they do! Just because I was fortunate enough to have magic, doesn't mean I stole it from goddamn Mulciber. I earned it and I damn well shouldn't be killed for having it!" 

Davina let Maisie rant because it reminded her so much of Hermione. It was almost identical to the time Hermione had blown up at her when she had tried to defend Malfoy. Hermione had blown up and told her how much of a bully her cousin was, and despite everything they would always share the same magic that thrummed in their veins. Davina had sat there in complete awe and told her friend that she should become the minister of magic.
If only. 

Davina did nothing but pull the girl into a warm somewhat hug, offering her as much comfort as she could. 

"Your damn well right." 

They fell asleep that night and Davina was awoken bright and early by a frantic Maisie. 

"Davina wake up! I can't find my toothbrush but I swear to god I put it in the cup near the sink."

Davina groaned, motioning to the toothbrush Maisie had placed on the bedside table in hopes that she wouldn't forget it or wake up early and distressed. 

"Ugh, I knew that was dumb when I did it," she mumbled, taking the toothbrush and moving back to the bathroom. 

Davina was awoken half an hour later and forced to dress and walk the two sisters down to the station. Davina tucked her hands into the pockets of her sweats, savouring the warmth that seeped through her fingertips and the scenery around her. Children were all wrapped up in hugs and cries of laughter and sadness flew past her ear. 

Maisie pulled her into a hug first. 

"I'm gonna miss you so much" 

Davina huffed out a laugh before burying herself into her friends shoulder. 

"I'll miss you more." 

Blair was the second. 

"You'll owl us won't you? You can post too!" 

Davina chuckled before reassuring the redhead that she would contact them, internally flinching at the lie. 

When the two boarded the train she went to turn back but decided not to. She wouldn't see the marauders for a long time. She couldn't leave without a say. She approached the group with a speed and jumped straight into Sirius's arms. Thank the lord for Sirius's strength because without it they both would've toppled over. Davina hung her arms tight around his neck, savouring the smell of her father before she left. 

"You good Davina?" She heard him question, but tightened her grip in response. When she finally pulled away she took a moment to glance at his face before nodding her head. She turned to the other three boys before offering them all smiles. 

"Just wanted to say bye." 

Davina hated goodbyes. They meant that you'd never see each other again. That was it. Goodbye. And she hated that. She never wanted to say goodbye to anyone, never wanted to indicate that they'd never see her again. She just wanted to stay. 

She gave all the boys hugs, pausing on Remus's for longer, before pulling away and smiling at them. She wanted to give Remus more but guilt was eating her up and she knew she would've felt like shit if she said anything more to lead him on. 

"We'll see you next year Davina" James stated, waving goodbye. Davina pulled Sirius into another hug before he boarded the train. 

"Be careful Sirius." 

She left the boy to board the train, a pensive look on his face. She knew she shouldn't have, hell she shouldn't have approached them but it was too late for that now. She stood there watching the train leave, and well past the leaving of the train. Regulus and Severus had said their farewells the day before, away from the crowd. 

She ran a hand through her hair and cracked her knuckles anxiously. Brushing a tear from her face, she left with a determined look on her face. 

Let's get this party started! 

Fuck yes