Chapitre Dix-Huit

Chapter 18

"Alpha, are you sure you're okay to patrol right now?" Bently wondered as I joined his side at the boarders.

"Yeah. I'll be all right. Don't worry," I assured him. His wolf whimpered in worry, licking behind my ear.

It's a gesture that has been allowed by the majority of the alphas to give our pack a chance to communicate with us through touch. Depending on the mood of the pack member, we have been trained to detect even the slightest bit of behavior change. The roughness, the aggression, the gentleness, the attitude. We are trained to find it all and calculate the mood swings.

"Positive?" he asked once more. I nodded.

"Now, come. Let's get to work."

"Yes, Ma'am."

Our patrol lasted from dusk to dawn. Roughly 12 hours. A migraine had started, and I finished the last four hours with it. I wanted to go home already.

"Nice work, Bently," I praised him. He licked behind my ear once more before he trotted in the direction of the pack house that he stays in. I sat down, waiting for the next set of patrol. They arrived a few moments later and bowed slightly. I nodded at them, and I allowed them to take my spot while I left for the day. I was exhausted.

I walked towards my father's office in the mansion. I had to put in my patrols for the month. I shifted back when I got into the room. I pulled open the drawer with the files with a sigh before I noticed he took them.

"Looking for these?" My head whipped towards Joden who waved the small binder that contained the patrol lists. My eyes locked with his when they broke from the binder.

"Why do you have those?" I demanded. He cautiously walked towards me with confidence that didn't match the pace.

"You're gonna work yourself to death, Kid."

"That's none of your business." I reached for it, but I ended up tumbling from the exhaustion. As if on instinct, he caught me in one arm.

"I am your king, that's why," he answered lowly. His breath fanned my ear and the side of my neck gently.

"And I am her mate," a low voice sounded from behind.

"Sylver?" I wandered. The king sighed, tossing the binder on the couch with ease, gripping the jeans' belt loop before pulling Sylver towards him as well.

"I'm glad I did come here. If it were my father, he would have killed you already."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Sylver sneered at the king.

"You should know even that by now." He sniffed my mate's neck hungrily. I swallowed the knot in my throat. "You smell just like her. More than she's aware."

"What?" I wandered.

"He's a wolf."

"No, I'm not. I'm a hunter," he denied.

"Maybe that's what your father raised," Joden countered. I just looked up at him.

"What are you saying?"

"You remember all the times you thought that he seemed so much like a werewolf, but you were still convinced he's not. But, you know, Love." He tilted my chin up. "You're senses were not wrong. He is, indeed, a werewolf. Just as you and I are. He may not be a pure blood as we are, but he still has a wolf lurking deep within. His father named him Sylver to cover the fact that he was born part wolf. The father is a wolf."

"How do you even know that I am one?" Sylver demanded.

"I have stronger, more sensitive, senses than our little Alpha." I growled at him weakly.