28 || Blast From The Past

I'm standing in the midnight rain, watching the woman I love so damn much run away from me

I watch until I can see her no more. I don't bother going back to the hotel room for the cake, instead I just get in my car and drive all the way home. I somehow knew this was going to happen when the words rolled off my tongue, but I was done lying to myself, that we couldn't be more than casual, that I could handle just being casual with her. Because I can't. I honestly can't. She makes my heart skip a million beats in a second, and it's not a feeling I get with just anyone.

Aaron and Liz are wearing giddy looks on their faces by the time I waltz into the living room. The look on my face makes their smiles disappear, and just for a split second, I hate that I made them sad.

"I take it that the birthday surprise didn't go well then," Aaron murmurs, while Liz comes to sit beside me.

"Yeah, it got fucked," I sigh.

"You swore," Aaron sits opposite Liz and I. "it really didn't work out then?"

"I'm so sorry, bestie," Liz coos, her arm wrapping around my neck.

"You know if you weren't my best friend this would have creeped me out," Aaron says jokingly to me when Liz pulls me closer.

"There's a huge difference between bestie and boyfriend, Aaron," Liz groans, leaving me and sitting on Aaron's thighs. And then the sad fact that I may never get this with the woman my heart decided to belong to stabs me in the chest.

"I'm gonna go upstairs," I sigh, then I hear Zac barking and heading to the living room.

"Get some sleep so you can be pumped for Saturday's game," Aaron says and I nod. It's three days from now so, I can wing it.

"Want me to come with you?" Liz asks and I rise to my feet, leaning down to kiss her forehead while Aaron pats my back.

"Naa, I'm good," I say, walking in the direction of the stairs and I hear Zac follow behind me.

I don't make it to my room though, I stop at the balcony where I sit and try to put things together. Zac wanders off for a couple of minutes, but then I hear him barking and being his owner, I know he's got something in his mouth.

Zac approaches me with a framed picture of Bri in his mouth and a small smile breaks out on my face. It's a picture I took while we were in Canada. She'd just woken up that morning and was taking in the cool morning dew. She didn't know when I took the picture, she was staring into space, looking less worried, less bothered about anything. It was the first time I saw her free and I had to keep record of it. She was dressed in a nightwear that stopped at her mid thigh, and she was playing with her long blonde hair. I'd brought it home, framed it, and kept it on my nightstand. The only time I took it away was when she was coming over so spend the night.

She can't be Lily.

Zac barks, it's the way he barks when he likes something or someone and I sigh to myself as run my fingers on her hair in the picture, reminiscing how much I love having my fists in it.