47

Ting Shuang maintained a calm expression, but his palms were sweating.

Over and over, he kept recalling everything he did after the girl placed her order.

He knew that he should have been more worried for the girl’s safety, but he was, in fact,  more worried about whether he was to blame for the current situation, and feared that he wouldn’t be able to explain himself.

Suddenly, something tightened around his waist.

It was such a small movement, but Ting Shuang was startled like a frightened bird. He only calmed down slowly after realizing that it was Bai Changyi who had wrapped his arm around his waist.

Bai Changyi described the situation to the paramedics on the phone, tucking Ting Shuang’s head into the crook of his neck.

After hanging up, Bai Changyi said, “Don’t be scared. The ambulance will arrive in a few minutes.”

In the crook of Bai Changyi’s neck, Ting Shuang nodded and made a shallow, nasally sound, “Mm.”

At that moment, a customer opened the door, and Bai Changyi said, “Sorry, there’s been an emergency here, so the cafe is temporarily closed.”

“Is there any sign you can put up to indicate that business is suspended?” Bai Changyi asked Ting Shuang in a low voice.

“Let me think… Yes.” Ting Shuang went to the staff louge to look for the sign, then hung it outside the door.

When he came back, he subconsciously held on to Bai Changyi’s hand.

He didn’t speak.

Bai Changyi felt his sweaty hand, so he took Ting Shuang into his arms again, pressing his head into the crook of his neck.

One person keeping an eye on the girl would be enough.

Bai Changyi gently stroked the back of Ting Shuang’s head and neck, asking in a low voice, “Why are you so scared.”

On Bai Changyi’s neck, Ting Shuang’s breath hitched for a while, before gradually returning to normalcy.

“… I don’t know,” Ting Shuang said.

“If you don’t know, then why are you scared?” Bai Changyi’s voice sounded like he was coaxing a child, “Don’t worry.”

Ting Shuang replied with a low “… mm.”

"
"
The cafe was in the city center, so the ambulance arrived quickly. Soon, the siren could be heard from a distance away.

Ting Shuang suddenly said, “I’m worried that… There’s something wrong with me.”

Bai Changyi said, “What’s wrong with you?”

Ting Shuang bit his lip, “… I don’t know.”

“You don’t know again? Don’t be scared about things you don’t know.” Bai Changyi kissed Ting Shuang and walked towards the paramedics who got out of the ambulance.

The paramedics were a man and a woman, with tall and large frames and wearing dark uniforms. At first glance, they looked a bit like police officers.

Ting Shuang was prepared to be questioned and reprimanded. He had just finished writing a full German essay in his mind, but unexpectedly, the two paramedics didn’t ask him anything. They diagnosed the girl’s condition after a single glance.

“Epilepsis.” The female paramedic briefly explained to Bai Changyi and Ting Shuang.

The male paramedic supported the girl who was still holding onto the table and turned her over to lie on her side. At that moment, Ting Shuang realized that the girl was not shaking the table or shivering, but spasming.