73.1 - There's Pretty Much Been Enough Growth, I'm Tired (2/2)

They waited for ten minutes. Both of them had finished their wontons, and Yan Liqian had yet to respond.

“This fish isn’t easy to catch.” Ting Shuang drummed his finger on the table, “But if it’s really like what I’m guessing, the R&D department will have to rush that FND project — although we don’t know exactly what it is yet — before monday. If it’s technology capital that they’re relying on for some kind of negotiation during the shareholders meeting, then Yan Liqian will definitely insist on discussing the new project with you on Sunday. Let’s continue waiting.”

After paying the bill, they left the wonton shop. Ting Shuang went to the small supermarket beside the shop and bought a lollipop. With it in his mouth, he asked Bai Changyi, “Has he replied?”

Bai Changyi: “No.”

“He hasn’t replied even after such a long time… What is he worrying about…” Ting Shuang paced back and forth in front of the school gate, “If he really was anxious, then he would insist on meeting tomorrow… Why isn’t he replying…”

Bai Changyi thought for a moment, “Maybe he suspects that I know something, or he knows about our relationship.”

“How would Yan Liqian know about my relationship with you… Fuck.” Something clicked in Ting Shuang’s mind, and something he hadn’t been able to comprehend suddenly made sense, “I should have thought of this long ago. When Weng Yunyi spoke so unpleasantly to me, I didn’t think much about it, and just wanted to talk back to her. After all, at that time, she didn’t directly say everything… I thought she wouldn’t tell anyone outside of our family about it.”

But what if, long ago, Weng Yunyi had already told Yan Liqian about him and Bai Changyi?

Or worse, Weng Yunyi might have already told all the high-level and senior employees of Roborun the so-called “truth”. After all, besides Weng Yunyi, there was also Yan Liqian whom she had brought into the ICU. The others couldn’t meet Zhu Ao, so they could only believe her.

She had been with Zhu Ao for so many years; of course they’d believe her.

No wonder.

No wonder his father’s old secretary and other older employees were unwilling to talk to him. If they really thought that he was the one to anger his father and had come back to fight for the family property, then on the flip side, it would be strange if they had replied earnestly.

“I’m so stupid, I’ve only been thinking about who’s the good guy and who’s the villain because I knew that none of the older employees would betray my dad.” Ting Shuang kicked the sides of the pavement, “Damn it, after this long, I turned out to be the villain.”

Then wouldn’t he be like a mouse crossing the street when he visited the company on Monday?

And his dad was currently unable to say a single word…

He still had a bunch of things that he hadn’t thought through clearly. On the night of his dad’s accident, who was the executive, or who were the executives that he ate with? Was Yan Liqian among them? What exactly did Yan Liqian want?

He thought about it, but came to no conclusion. After all, everything now was just a speculation. Was he thinking too poorly of Weng Yunyi?

It was a mess.

The pressure he felt suddenly increased, and his cigarette addiction flared up. The sugar wasn’t enough to keep it away.

But he really didn’t want to smoke anymore.

He was beyond irritated.

He had to vent it out; he had to let himself loose.

“I want to go in.” Ting Shuang looked at the black iron gate of the school. He seemed to be looking past the trees and around the teaching blocks, following the straight path and up the steps to the side of the plastic runway, “I want to go to the field.”