Extra 1 - Shimu* Ting Shuang

Of course, a lot of people would think that if a middle-aged person found an especially young partner, they’d suddenly feel younger too, as if they were back in their twenties and had regained their youth.

But the actual situation was far from that.

In reality, the gap between the two of them was more like a reminder for the middle-aged man who would turn forty in less than two years; that his youth had long since passed, and that he was getting older. Now he could only stand aside and watch as his little boy and his friends fought with water guns, messing up the house.

Of course, a lot of people would think that if a young person found an especially mature partner, they’d have someone to guide them, and they’d follow in their footsteps, maturing quickly and developing the ability to handle all kinds of situations steadfastly.

But the actual situation was far from that.

In reality, the mature partner would always be considerate, always be gentle, and would slowly watch as the child grew up into a twenty five or twenty six-year-old child in an adult’s body, and then indulge his request to hold a water gun fight at home with his friends.

Song Xin was doing his internship when he received a message from Ting Shuang. The contents were very simple, and he had sent it to the group chat: Young master, I, have graduated, and intend to find a day to celebrate. May I have the honour of inviting you to participate?

Celebrating was something that had to be done, but how?

The close friends in the group discussed for half a day, came up with countless proposals, and finally decided on a water gun battle – He Le said he had a stash of unused water guns.

Song Xin said he would be in charge of the beer and snacks.

Guo Ping said he would be responsible for renting the venue.

Everyone was especially enthusiastic in assigning tasks to themselves, so when it came to Ting Shuang, there weren’t any roles left for him to fill. He thought for a while, then said, “Then I’ll be responsible for filling the water guns with water.”

Song Xin said, “Okay, the important task of securing ammunition will be left to you.”

It wasn’t weird for the students to be this enthusiastic, as Ting Shuang was the only one in the group who had completed his graduation thesis under the perverted professor, which had been, needless to say, full of difficulties and challenges. The fear that accompanied Robotik was still fresh in their minds, and just a glance at Bai Changyi’s profile on the LRM’s official website would make them remember it all again.

It was like a codeword between robotics students. They’d look at each other, their gazes inquiring – have you attended Prof. Bai‘s class before?

Just like war veterans back during the period of war who looked at each other, gazes inquiring – have you fought the ghosts(1) before?

If you’ve fought the ghosts before, then we’re brothers.

Similarly, if you’ve attended Prof. Bai‘s class before, then we’re now related by blood.

Now that Ting Shuang had graduated, it was as if they’d witnessed their comrade climb out of the same trench they were in, and successfully escaped from the tiger. Who wouldn’t be happy for him?

After a big fuss in the group, they decided to hold the celebration on Saturday morning, the last Saturday of the month.

"
"
Originally, Ting Shuang would have spent a rest day like that with Bai Changyi, but now Bai Changyi even had to work on Saturdays.