73 Darkness

The darkness in the room started to lift, and Scorpius took on the scene. Fires had been started in several places in the auditorium. The bodies of fallen zealots and Aurors were scattered randomly. But the ones still alive had all been left defenseless, forced onto their knees around the stage, in a circle around Scorpius. Daniel moved to take Selwyn's place, standing behind Raven.

The girl's eye was swollen and purple, her hair had come free of her braids, and she held an arm against her chest like it pained her. A few feet away, Albus was in a similar state, and Aries held her wand to the back of his neck. He looked out of breath, sucking in as much air as possible.

A few feet from them, was Harry Potter and his Aurors- the ones still alive, at least. And then Orion, and James Potter, and Rose. James was crying, tears streaming down dirty cheeks, his eyes on the body that laid nearby. Teddy.

Scorpius watched as Selwyn approached him, stopping when he was in the center of the circle. He gestured to the group that each had a designated Zealot holding wands to their necks.

"Here's how this is going to go." Selwyn raised his voice, clicking his tongue and someone grabbed Scorpius from the back, forcing him to his knees and twisting his arms behind his back painfully. He hissed in rage. "You lot have been meddling in my affairs since day one." Selwyn turned and looked at Scorpius only.

His wrists pinched in the zealot's grip. He couldn't see who was holding him, but it didn't matter.

"I don't appreciate that. It's disrespectful to let someone out of prison and then decide not to trust them." Selwyn walked over to Hermione and leaned down to eye-level with her. He grabbed her arm, and ripped her sleeve open. Scorpius flinched when he saw it. "Minister for Magic." He looks at her, then reads the white scar on her arm. "Or should I just call you as your name tag says, Mudblood?"

Scorpius looked across the circle and met gazes with Raven. He gave her a little nod. I'm not leaving you. He'll protect her. He'll save them all.

"I could try to use the Imperius curse on you, but I know better than to think it will work long-term. So instead I'll take a different approach." Selwyn spoke to Hermione. "You're going to keep the ministry out of my business. You won't bother my followers if they are on the streets. You won't bother me if you see me about. Now that you know what I'm capable of."

"I'd rather die." Hermione hissed at him. Selwyn grinned.

"I thought you might say that. But I have a plan worse than death for you." He snaps his fingers and the zealot holding Rose Weasley shoved her forward. Hermione's eyes widened in fear, concern for her daughter blossoming on her face. "You have children. You have nieces and nephews, and you have family. You may have betrayed the Weasley's but there's no shortage of them to kill off."

"No. Don't touch her." Hermione gasps, but the zealot grabbed her hair behind her to keep her still. She yelps in pain as the grip on her hair yanks.

"Mom-" Rose's face streams with tears as she shakes in terror.

"Now, now." Selwyn hushes them both. "I won't kill her, as long as you agree to let me do as I will in peace. Think about it. The only time I've had to kill people is when you put your nose in my business. Otherwise, no one would be dead right now." He points to Teddy. "He wouldn't be dead. Draco wouldn't be dead." Selwyn glances at Raven. "Cypress wouldn't even be dead." He glances at Scorpius next, then focuses on Hermione once more. "Let's make a deal."

"Don't kill my daughter." Hermione begs. Selwyn nodded.

"I don't want to." He admits. Scorpius watched this exchange, realizing what this was. Selwyn could kill them all and be done with it. But the next ministry would still hunt him to the ends of the earth. Once again, he was a step ahead. He showing his hand. Clever enough to exert enough fear and intimidation to get anyone to do as he wanted.