42 It's Nothing ⚠️

Reminder that chapters with the "⚠️" contain sensitive and possibly triggering content. Stay safe

It was two days later when the beginning of the end started. Scorpius could feel it coming. He was getting these looks from Daniel. It was in Defense Against the Dark Arts when Daniel finally spoke to him. Scorpius was opening his book up, watching Albus fish for a pencil in his bag. Rather amused by the cute scrunched nose and furrowed eyebrows as he grew more and more frustrated trying to find something to write with. The Malfoy pulled a ballpoint out of his pocket finally, and set it over beside Albus. Green eyes looked at the pen and then at his boyfriend, those lines across his face disappearing. "Thanks."

"It's nothing." Scorpius brushes it off, looking to the front of the room for instruction. Daniel comes over then, blocking his view. "What?" The spite was strong in his voice, and he looked up to his brother's cold gaze.

"We're leaving at the end of the week." Daniel tells him. We. Dead or Alive. Scorpius had that spark of defiance tingle his veins, strong enough where a soft pressure started to build up. But he handled it before it could get out of hand, and kept his voice easy and steady.

"I won't be going with you. Tell Selwyn to kiss my ass." He gave a plastic smile, feeling Albus's gaze on the two of them. Calculating if he'd jump into whatever fight was about to start. But Daniel just matches his expression with his own.

"You'll be going, whether you comply or not."

"Come on brother, since when have you known me to comply?" Scorpius didn't waver from his glare, not until Daniel had left the room- seemingly not interested in staying for class. When he's gone Albus gently grabs his arm.

"Is it a good idea to taunt him like that?"

"The only element I haven't practiced with Aries is Earth, Al. If he comes at me, he'll have to go through a hurricane and fire. I'd like to see how that plays out. Don't you?" Scorpius shrugs, but panic was still fringing on his mind. That dark, suffocating abyss that plagued his dreams was a lot more fearful than he'd ever let on. And something told him that when Aries said he could summon darkness- even as an example- there was some truth to that. How was Scorpius meant to do magic in nothingness?

"You aren't who I'm worried about, Scorpius." Albus softly shakes his head.

"I know. I know. There's you and there's Raven, and even Aries he could hurt to get to me. But how am I meant to protect you all when you're in separate places all the time?" Scorpius takes his hand in his own. "Try not to worry."

"What about Christine and-"

"Christine is important. So is Ashton. But they are not my priority. Do you understand?" He wished he could tell him though his head- like Aries could do. To explain exactly what he means. I'd let them die if it meant saving you. Albus may have gotten the message anyways, because he pulled his hands out of Scorpius's grasp.

"Yeah." Albus was cold. "I didn't realize you and Aries had gotten so close."

"She's my best friend, Al." Scorpius answers, not realizing it was going to feel like a slap in the face to the other boy. And he could see the shift in those green eyes. From warmth and concern to disregard and turmoil. Even if Albus could hold it together physically- soft changes in his expression told Scorpius that he had said the wrong thing. "So are you. But you're my boyfriend too." He grasps to remedy himself. The damage was done.

"Don't worry. I get it. Christine is my best friend outside of you." Albus replies, putting his book away and sliding the pen back over to the blonde. "I'll see you later."

"Wait- you're ditching class?"

"I'm going to find it difficult to concentrate considering I'm now processing the fact you're ranking Aries Carrow as one of your top priorities. So yes, I'm leaving." His tone was cruel.