57 Casualties

"Serpen Aquamenti!" Scorpius casts the spell, and a massive serpent of water explodes from his wand, immediately drenching the foyer. The water-formed creature launches the short distance between Scorpius and Selwyn, and engulfs the latter in a swirling mass of floating water. Selwyn's mouth and nose fill with water, suffocating him. But a wave of his wand has the water receding like a bomb went off from within the mass. All the water coated the walls, rippling like it was glass against the stone. Selwyn pushes hair that was wet and streaming with water away from his face.

"Bombarda." Raven aims up at the chandelier above the man, and the ceiling explodes. The light fixture falling through the air at the speed of gravity, and Selwyn barely has time to jump out of the way before it shatters on the ground at impact. Shards of glass slide across the wet floor. Selwyn doesn't get up as he casts his spell.

"Incendio." It was like the water on the ground turned to gasoline. Scorpius went to his knees and stuck his hands into the water.

"Glacius." His charm instantly froze the floor, and the fire Selwyn begun instantly died out. The man got to his feet. "Flipendo!" Scorpius's jinx immediately knocked him backwards and off his feet again.

"Herbivicus Incarcerous." Raven points to the floor with her wand, and Scorpius watched as vines busted through the floor and wrapped tightly around Selwyn's wrists and ankles, holding him on the ground and immobilized. Scorpius looked at his sister, realizing how much she'd actually learned this year. He was impressed. Scorpius walked over to the man and kicked the wand out of his hand.

"You miscalculated." Selwyn told him, staring up at the boy from the floor. Scorpius's blood pumped through his body so loud he was sure everyone could hear it. And panic shook up his gut as suddenly darkness robbed him of his sight. Daniel.

"Raven!" Scorpius yells, hearing the exclamation of others all over the manor. It was dark everywhere. "Lumos Maxima!" A light like the sun erupted from the end of his wand, and when he looked back down where Selwyn was, the small space around him illuminated from his wand, the man was gone. Vines were broken and dead. Terror gripped him. "Raven!" He yelled again, spinning and holding his wand up in front to see where she was.

"Scorpius!" Her voice broke the darkness and Scorpius moved towards it, and she ran towards the light. She looked terrified as she met him. "What happened?" Her voice trembled. Scorpius was uncharacteristically steady as he took her hand and lead them towards the stairs.

"It's Daniel." He tells her quietly. Raven keeps her wand up, eyes scanning the darkness as they make their way through the place they call home. The bottom of her dress was wet from the water, and her hand was cold in his. The only sounds Scorpius could hear was their steps. They stop at the bottom of the stairs. "The light is a beacon." Scorpius makes eye contact with his sister. Raven takes a deep breath. "This is our home."

"Do it." She agrees without having to clarify.

"Nox." The light at the end of Scorpius's wand goes out. And they are left in complete darkness, without even the slightest of light. Scorpius could feel Raven's hand in his, and he made sure not to let go. Scorpius stepped out of his shoes, leaving him in socks, and he could hear Raven do the same. Shuffling in the dark. "We need to find father." He whispers to her, and they walk up the stairs.

A spell flashes from the top of the stairs, and they run the rest of the way up. Scorpius could hear Orion's voice and his mother's. And then another voice; one Scorpius recognized but couldn't place to a specific guest from the party. "Avada Kedavra!" A green flash lit up the room, and Scorpius spotted the figures of Orion and his mother, he and Raven both ran towards them.