[1] Pilot

"Suffering is good for the soul, right?"

♰ ♰ ♰

"Stop acting weird. You're freaking me out." I hear my father's voice, stern but with slight fear hidden behind it.

I stay where I am hidden at the top of the stairs, cautious not to make a sound. I hear a laugh, it's mother, yet it sounds nothing like her.

"Don't you know?" She starts, a shrillness behind her voice. "Can't you feel it?! There's a sickness in the air." she pauses, and I can hear her pacing back and forth, her bare feet against the wooden floor.

"The worst kind. The kind that tears invisible claws through our souls until there's nothing left but aching scraps." This time she screams, sounding terrified. "Do you know what that feels like?" For a moment all is quiet, just harsh breathing. I hear her give out a laugh, it sounds exasperated. "You don't believe me." She quietly chokes out. "I can show you. I can show you." She chants, and I hear my father give a big sigh like this isn't the first time.

"That's enough." He demands, cutting off mother's chanting. "You are going to wake Isabel. This isn't right. Something is wrong with you!" He bellowed, slight raise in his voice.

I feel my hands tremble and my body starts to involuntarily shake. I feel a cold teardrop onto my leg.

"Please, just hear me out." Mother cries, and I hear a scuffle. It lasts a few seconds before it goes quiet. "Something is wrong. Something is happening!" She shouts, making me jump.

I hear running on the floorboards before the sound of the door being swung open, letting in the cold English air.

"Willow!" My father shouts, footsteps pounding after her, "Willow!" He continues to scream.

I am abruptly awoken in a cold sweat as Lydia gently shakes my arm. I let out a small gasp for air as I slowly sit up in what is now my new bed. She gives me a gentle smile.

"You were having a nightmare." She consoled quietly, still holding my arm lightly.

I push my hair back and hold my face in my hands as I catch my breath. After a few seconds, I move my hands and meet Lydia's eyes, offering a small smile back.

"Sorry." I apologise, trailing off back to my thoughts again.

She rubs my arm before pulling me in close, for a gentle hug. I let out a breath and place my arms back around her.

"What time is it? Sorry if I woke you." I question sheepishly. Lydia pulls back from the hug, a big smile now on her face.

"You didn't wake me, silly." She teased, "You are just in time for your first day back at school makeover!" She squeals. My face drops as I realise what I am in for.