17 ~

Chapter Seventeen

"Alright guys do you have everything packed?" Amara checks in on both Ae-ri and Sun-oh through the doorway that connected their rooms. Ae-ri gives a glance at all her belongings and the entirety of her room before nodding with a soft smile; Sun-oh verifies everything of his is packed before Amara sighs in relief and smiles warmly at them, "Awesome, let's go. The airport awaits."

Sun-oh and Ae-ri grab their things and make it downstairs where the person escorting them to the airport was awaiting with a patient smile; he grabs their things, they all slide into the vehicle, and then they are off.

The ride starts off quiet, both of them taking in the last views of Ae-ri's home before leaving to the chilly Korea weather. "I'm gonna miss it here," Sun-oh sighs as he reaches for her hand. She swirls a circle on the palm on his hands absentmindedly and nods in agreement.

"We shall be back soon, fingers crossed," she looks over at him as she slips her fingers through his and offers a firm squeeze; his heart warms at the gesture and he gives the top of her hand a kiss before resting his head on her shoulder.

***

It takes approximately most of 24 hours to get home and Ae-ri sighs in boredom as they enter the last five hour stretch. Sun-oh and her had played card games, slept, watched two movies, played chess, and even played tic-tac-toe before deciding they were mostly out of ideas. So instead, they sat and gazed at each other as the cabin turned the lights off and the world fell to night around them.

He kisses her softly, once, and it's enough to leave a dull ache of yearning behind. She breathes out as she presses their foreheads together, and kisses the corner of his mouth, giving him a gentle eskimo kiss followed by a quiet laugh.

Sun-oh could see her eyes clearly from this close and he wanted nothing more than to unearth every thought she had ever had and know everything about her; she was complex yet so simple, so fascinating.

They still and he breaks the silence with a whispered question, "What was your first impression of me?"

Ae-ri contemplates for a moment and slips her hands into his before replying, "I thought you were annoying because you interrupted my reading time, but that you were beautiful, and that you seemed very broken," she says with her eyes looking a bit distant as if recalling the memory. "I hadn't really noticed you up until that day on the roof if I'm being completely honest."

Sun-oh nods in understanding, remembering exactly what moment she was talking about.

She peers up at him and asks the same question. He replies after a second, "I thought you were the most interesting person I've ever met. You still kind of are. The way you navigate through problems and emotions is admirable and I hadn't met someone like that. You were also wicked smart."

Ae-ri bites her lip to stop a smile and kisses him instead. "Thank you," she says lowly.

They sink into silence once more before Sun-oh asks, "What's gonna happen when we go back? This is our last year together before college no?"

She had considered the thought but brushed it away because the idea of leaving him due to distance didn't feel plausible to her. "I'm not sure I understand your question," she replies.

"When we get home, will it feel different than it did before?"

"I think it'll feel how it does now. I really like you Sun-oh, I care for you deeply and I don't think that'll change because of what other peoples opinions might be," she replies as she looks at him with sincerity in her eyes.

Sun-oh releases a breath he didn't know he was holding. "I feel the same."

Ae-ri smiles softly and then addresses his last concern, "As for college, I don't think our relationship is fickle enough to not be able to go through the trials of long distance if it comes to it. We can take a break if you wanted to though, I don't want to be the person who holds you back from being with whoever you want to be with. You can let me go if you deemed it necessary."

Sun-oh feels his body flush warm then cold with fear, "I want to be with you under any and all circumstances. I don't want anyone but you."

Ae-ri lets his words sink in and presses his palm up to her cheek before looking at him, "I get that but just in case you did want someone else-" she presses a kiss to his fingertips before leaning further into his touch, "-I would understand. Do not hesitate to tell me the instant you no longer want this Sun-oh. With time I'll still be your friend; I'd rather see you happy with another person then sad with me, okay?"

Sun-oh sighs and presses his thumb to her mouth before tugging on the bottom lip and then slipping his hand to her throat and to the back of her head, "Ae-ri, I understand what you mean, I really do, but I simply do not think any other person could make me feel the way you do; nor can I bare the thought of you being with someone else."

She tilts her head a bit and sighs in defeat, "Very well. Just have open communication with me. Agreed?"

He smiles, "Agreed."