34 ~

Chapter Thirty-Four

Ae-ri sighs as she watches from where she is leaning against one of the small tables as people begin to say their final goodbyes and her parents acknowledge everyone by the entrance. The night had been a complete success and her parents were sure to gain good publicity and networking as a result. She felt proud of them. 

Sun-oh was next to his mother, bowing his head every now in then as a respectful goodbye to his mom's colleagues; In-ho was also with his parents making sure everything had gone smoothly and the night went well for them. 

Both of them casually glance at Ae-ri now and then, almost as if to make sure she was still there, and she can't help but laugh at the gesture. 

"Hi, baby, are you ready to go home?" Ae-ri's mom beams at her. 

Ae-ri nods with a smile and hugs her, "You all did so good today."

They continue chatting as they make their way to the coatroom where a few people were already waiting to get their outerwear. Ae-ri sighs and leans her head against her mom's shoulder when there's a gap in their conversation, "Mother, I am tired."

"You're lucky it's the weekend huh?"

Ae-ri smiles sheepishly and Amara tugs on one of her curls, "How about we go on a date tomorrow?"

"Can we get massages?"

"You didn't even have to ask," she laughs with an innate elegance that lights up the room. People around smile at the sound and as they approach Ae-ri realizes her mother's energy and positivity was infectious. 

People begin speaking to her mother once more and Ae-ri waits patiently. When it's their turn to get their jackets, she smiles warmly at the person manning the coatroom and thanks them for acquiring their jackets. The worker smiles back at the acknowledgment. 

Ae-ri tucks their coats between her arms and her waist before doing some people-watching to kill time. Her attention is elsewhere when In-ho slips his fingers to her elbow and tugs for her to look at him. An easy smile dons his face and his eyes are warm. 

"Ready to go?" he asks softly. 

"Go where?"

"Home, silly."

"Oh. What?" 

He tilts his head, "I brought you here, am I not responsible for taking you home as well?"

She opens her mouth to reply but is interrupted by Sun-oh, "No, that won't be necessary. I can take her home."

Their eyes meet and the air suddenly grows very heavy and tense. Ae-ri sighs as she looks between the two and steps out of the line of fire as they begin debating whose rightful role it is to escort her home. Ae-ri looks over to her mother to see if she was free to help and like the mother hen she is, Amara was already on her way. 

"What's up, boys? How are my babies doing?"

Sun-oh blushes softly and bows his head as In-ho follows suit and presents his case first, "I brought Ae-ri here, but now Sun-oh is saying he is going to take her home."

Amara nods understandingly at the predicament so as to not invalidate him, and then smiles at both of them before tugging out her phone and saying, "Heads is In-ho, Tails is Sun-oh. Deal?"

They all nod. 

***

"Is this warm enough?" he asks gently as he slips on his seatbelt and looks over at Ae-ri. 

Ae-ri gifts Sun-oh a smile and nods, "It's perfect, thank you."

Sun-oh begins the drive to Ae-ri's house and as they fall into a comfortable silence, he finds himself realizing he missed when times were as simple as this. When it was them two, after school studying, laughing together, smiling.