23 ~

Chapter Twenty-Three

The past three weeks had been utter hell for Ae-ri and she was losing every ounce of patience she had with the world. In-ho had grown more bearable to be around but the insecurity that Sun-oh was feeling as a result of In-ho's presence was causing a lot of strain on their relationship.

She was tired.

She couldn't find escape in the one person she desired deeply and it was taking its toll.

Ae-ri sighs as she plops down on her couch and whips out her phone to text Sun-oh only to see he had texted her a few minutes ago:

Hi sweetheart, what are you up to today? I miss you :(

She smiles softly and replies:

Nothing much, probably going to study. Want to meet up later or tomorrow?

I'd desire nothing more :)

***

Ae-ri pulls down her headphones and blows air out of her cheeks as she finishes up the last of her homework for the weekend. Her Saturday and Sunday were officially free and she was excited to spend every last moment with her family and Sun-oh.

She packs up her things back into her bag just as her mom knocks on the door and peeks her head in with a smile. "What's up?"

Ae-ri smiles back, "Nothing much, why?"

"In-ho and his mom are here. I was thinking you guys could go get coffee and spend some time together?" her mom looks at her with hopeful eyes and Ae-ri could feel the irritation running her body warm.

"Mom, I wanted to see Sun-oh. You know? My partner?"

"I know, baby, but it will be two hours max."

"Max," Ae-ri grumbles as she tugs out her jacket and gives her mom a sigh.

"That's my girl."

***

"The Americano is growing on me," In-ho smiles at her.

"I'm glad," Ae-ri nods indifferently.

She wished to be anywhere but here. Specifically with her significant other.

"So how's your relationship?"

"Fine."

"It didn't seem fine last time I checked."

"Okay?"

"I'm just saying, you should probably do something about how insecure he is."

"Fuck off."

"I'm not saying something you haven't thought about Ae-ri," he says slowly, his eyes coolly meeting her with a specific emotion she preferred not to label.

She exhales, and meets his gaze, "We are not the same."

"We are more alike than you'd like to admit, Ae-ri," he says in a low tone, his body leaning forward slightly.

"I disagree," she replies firmly but quietly, her body leaning forward to meet his challenge.

He laughs gently, and by the way his eyes lit up, she'd think he enjoyed their bickering.

In-ho keeps his gaze on her and he stills, his eyes trying to pick her a part in the same way she did other people, his lips biting themselves but his mouth holding a perpetual hint of a smile. Ae-ri doesn't break eye contact, making sure he knew she found him to be a challenge she was going to win, a hindrance that would soon disappear.