35 ~

Chapter Thirty-Five

"What is it?"

"Nothing."

In-ho looks up at Ae-ri once more from where he was sitting on his pool floaty and Ae-ri huffs, "Spit it out."

"It's nothing."

Ae-ri turns around in her floaty to look at him, her eyes narrowed before plopping down, sending a small wave in his direction.

In-ho spares one more look before she snaps.

"In-ho, what is the proble—"

"—I just don't understand how you could get back together with him—"

"—it's none of your concern, so why does it require your understanding?"

A beat of silence.

"It doesn't. I just think you deserve better."

"Like who?" she asks the question despite knowing exactly what his answer would be.

In-ho sighs. "I just don't get it. You folded so quickly, Ae-ri—shit's embarrassing."

Ae-ri could feel cold irritation run through her, "In-ho, we haven't even confirmed if we are together or not. Can you cool it?"

He silently mocks her before splashing her, "You're so bossy."

"You're so nosy."

"I neither confirm nor deny the accusation," he leans back on his floaty.

"I should've drowned you when I had the chance," she huffs under her breath.

"What was that?" he pipes up, leaning his weight on his elbows.

"I should've drowned you when I had the chance," she repeats louder.

In-ho lets out an exaggerated gasp and paddles towards her till he finally plops his body on hers, causing her to sink into the water.

"In-ho," she yells before getting fully dunked. He goes down with her and upon coming back up for air, she laughs, her hair drenched around her face. He smiles and laughs as he swims closer and helps flip her curls out of her face.

His fingers sweep past her eyes, down her cheeks, and as he tucks the hair behind her ears, his eyes meet her golden ones. Time seems to still a bit as he wipes the remaining water from her under her eyes, her lashes wet and long. His touch stops at her jaw and he lets out a breath just as his eyes slip to her mouth.

God, her mouth.

They pull away almost at the same time, In-ho a beat slower as he regains his breathing.

"Hey, In-ho?"

He looks over just as Ae-ri whacks his head with a pool noodle and laughs loudly before swimming away quickly.

"Oh, you're so on."

***

In-ho sighs as his mom and Ae-ri's mom continue chatting and finally tying up the loose ends of their business deal. There had been a lot of legal negotiation and with the banquet, things had reached a bit of a standstill which meant more sly manipulation on behalf of his mother much to his dismay.

He knew Ae-ri didn't like his mother very much, she could almost see through the transparent lie that she had built, but their friendship had deterred her a bit; his mom's master plan had worked a little too well.

He continues towel-drying his hair as Ae-ri does her hair and as he looks over at her he watches as she smiles at her phone.

His heart skips a beat before he looks away, the sight a bit too early and a bit too painful. He wanted nothing more than for her to be happy and if Sun-oh was her choice then he would live with it. Friendship would have to be enough and he would be the model friend...