prolouge

For as long as I can remember, music has been apart of my life.

From my first memory and moment of self-awareness I had either been around  music or involved in it. It didn't help that my parents were obsessed with it it and were musicians themselves.

My parents were definitely those parents that probably shouldn't have had kids because they were still quite young themselves. In all honesty, I don't think my parents did too bad of a job raising me. Sure, there's quite a few big concerns I have looking back, but I wouldn't trade those memories for the world.

For example, my longest memory I can actually recall is a toddler me excitedly hitting my dad's head to the beat of a rock song while a crowd cheers around us. Apparently that was my third birthday and we were at warped tour.

I have plenty of stories about my mom teaching me how to scream and do stage makeup, as well as plenty of my dad teaching me the drums and bass.

I've met multiple bands that I adore as both of my parents have been touring musicians that filed in for bands who didn't have a regular drummer or guitarist or whatever. They've also been on multiple road crews and had taken me with them, especially when I was younger.

Of course school had always been a second thought to them after they were sure they'd instilled the art bug in me and when it came time for me to really get into school, they homeschooled me.

My favorite memory however, was on my 14th birthday. I had begged for months for concert tickets to go see All Time Low live. Well, I got my wish and I even got to meet them. Had I known my dad was friends with their tour manager, I would have exploited that but ya know. That wasn't even the best part, because my dad finds me, guides me to the band,then legit goes "guys, this is my kid, Spencer."

That might not seem super cool but considering I had just come out as nonbianry to both of my parents two days prior, I was convinced I was going to ascend.

I was happier than I had ever been in my life and had learned I was going to join my parents that summer when they went on warped again.

A week later, all of that went down the drain.

I had gotten back home from my friend's house - I know shocker I had friends but hey this is LA and my parents were okay with me kind of doing whatever as long as no one was killed and I told them where I was and what I doing.

Anyways, I was coming through the door expecting some sort of shout of acknowledgement back until I noticed a note taped to the coat rack.

It had read as follows ; Spenc! We'll be gone for a couple weeks, found some old friends that agreed to starting the band we've always dreamed of! We love you with all our hearts but we've got to do this you know how it is kiddo, recording eps and all that. Have fun and stay safe while we're gone. We have made arrangements with the neighbor and are gonna have Donna come by to check on you a few times a day. Whatever you do just don't get the cops called. Love mom and dad. Ps, noise ordnance is still in order so keep in mind not to blast Oli Sykes voice after 10pm

Why I decided to ignore that last one I'll never know, but what I do know is that my parents put way too much trust and faith into both a 14 year old kid that's never once rebeled against their parents and an old lady that listed her cats' names before her children's in her will.

Things were fine for about three days, then I got bored  and mixed with knowledge of where to get alcohol and weed, the downfall of fucking my life up  showed itself in the form of letting some 16 year old I was attracted to persuade me into throwing a party in my all too big for me home.

And boy was it gloriously fucked.