one. The Party Scene

"So let me get this right, your dope as hell parents are gone for two weeks and you haven't thrown a party yet. It's been three days Spenc, what the hell you doin?!"

I groan and push on Cody's shoulder as he laughs, messing my hair up as he sits back down. I take another drag before handing him the joint and finally roll over onto my back.

Cody joins me, playing with my hair as I stare up at the darkening sky.

"Fine. But only if you plan it. And you provide drinks and snacks."

"What are you, five?"

I sit up and glare at him while he smirks, his blonde hair laying around his head.

"Hey! You know what I mean you jerk," I pout and feel my face heating up as Cody yawns and stands up, standing over me and bending at the waist with his hands on his hips.

"I know, you're just cute when you pout." I cross my arms and look down as he stand back up and stretches out his limbs.

"Besides, seeing you blush is definitely worth the ass kicking I'll get later."

I blush harder before I stand up, grabbing both of our bags off the ground and running to catch up with his stupid long limbs. By the time I reach him, I'm already out of breath and he's laughing at me.

Asshole.

---

And that was how it happened. I know, extremely dumb move on my part but now here I am, sitting on my bed high out of my mind as blessthefall plays loudly downstairs and my house is full of strangers. And Coby is right in front of me.

And what did I do? I kissed the fucker, right on his lips. He doesn't stop me, he he reciprocate and even locks my bedroom door.

"Are you sure?" I ask looking up at him through my lashes. He breathes and closes his eyes, resting our forheads together.

"I've liked you since you ran into my house screaming about grapes. Of course I want this, Spencer. All you have to do is tell me."

I breathed in deeply and nodded, cupping his face gently.

This shouldn't happen. Not with him, he's 2 years older..

"Yes."

..............

Long story short, we ended up making out for far too long and then someone came pounding on my door yelling that a neighbor called the cops.

I rushed to get dressed and ran down the stairs, trying to put on a front that I was sober and not coming down from a high.

That failed and less than 2 hours later I was sitting between my parents with my arms crossed and my head down.

"I can't believe you Spencer. The one rule we had was not to get the cops called, and you got the cops calls!" My dad's voice whisper yells at me and I sink further into the chair.

"I know..I'm sorry."

"It's fine. I'm sorry I yelled, okay kiddo?"

I nod and allow him to hug me and shortly after I pull away, hearing the door open and an officer walked in.

Alot of that night I honestly don't remember, probably because I've subconsciously pushed it away and blocked it out. I do remember the next few days though, and the court hearings. Those were the worse because I was terrified of saying anything, scared it'd hurt me in the long run.

Turns out it had because the courts decided neither of my parents were fit for raising me and were charged with child neglect. I remember my first case worker basically seething when I hug both of my parents and cried my eyes out after gathering all of my clothes and a few personal items.

I remember my mom pressing her favorite necklace into my hands and promising her I'd never lose it. I remember my dad crying and promising me he was going to fight to get me back no matter how long it took. I remember him promising to send me things on my birthday every year.

He had been keeping his promises, my mom had too. Then I was moved to a foster home in New Jersey two months after my 15th birthday and essentially lost all contact with them. I stayed in that foster placement for the next two weeks before being moved again.

And ever since I'd wake up in a new placement every week if not every 3 days.

..............

"LUCILLE GET YOUR DIRTY ASS OUT OF MY CLOSET AND GET TO WORK ON THOSE GODDAMN WEEDS!"

Flinching awake, I grogily look up to see my current legal guardian yelling at her cleaning lady. Today was not the day I wanted to wakeup to Karen screaming at someone she pays but then again, no day should be the day for that.

"Lower the volume of your voice for once Karen."

She glares at me and rips my blankets off of me, ranting about how ungrateful I am to her as I shiver at the lack of warmth.

"And what the hell are you wearing boys underwear for, Spencer?! I know your idiot of a birth mother let your father name you but that doesn't mean you have to act like a boy! You know my rules in this house!"

I roll my eyes and sigh, pushing myself to sit up in bed.

"First of all, my mom isn't an idiot. Second, I'm nonbinary I've told you this a million times. And besides, underwear is underwear and it's either these or me wearing nothing to bed - which would you prefer?"

Karen scoffs and crosses her arms before storming out of my room. I shrug and walk over to my vanity. I look briefly at my very messed up hair, messing with it until it's finally somewhat untangled.

Well, I was going to wear a skirt today but since Karen's pulling her transphobic shit I'm dressing super masc just to spite her.

The first thing I do however, I grab moms necklace and secure it around my neck.

Just 2 more years and I can finally come home