seven : the next chapter

Waving goodbye to Jessica (I finally figured out my social worker's name, go me!) I sigh when I see her car leave the drive way.

I always hated how sad or off I would feel when I got to a new placement. I should be excited and finally feel free but instead, I found myself missing my friends and sneaking them into Karen's house. I was also kind of missing the night I had babysat Victoria and got her hooked on Dallon Weekes as well as studio ghibli films.

"Spencer? You okay?"

I turned around toward Mikey's voice as he twirled his keys around his finger, looking slightly anxious while waiting for a response.

I nod and head back inside, standing on the front porch before turning back around to Mikey.

"Are you going home already?"

Mikey smiled and shook his head. He pointed to the other side of the duplex and explained that he was technically home already. I felt embarrassement settle itself into my stomach and I bit the inside of my cheek gently.

"Oh. Where are you going?" I hated that it came out so unsure, as if I was desperate for him to stay here. I didn't know why I suddenly felt better with him around but I did.

"Gee asked me to go pick up a pizza or something. You look like you haven't eaten anything since lunch."

I nod and scratch my forearm in awkwardness, my sleeve moving with me. Mikey and I stayed staring for a few seconds, seeing who would break the silence first.

Clearing my throat, I turn my body to the door but keep my eyes on Mikey.

"Uhm..could you possibly get olives on it? Thanks..."

With that, I rushed inside and let out a deep breath, my anxious brain racing from the embarrassment.

I tried my best to relax, taking a moment to really take in my surroundings. Right inside the door was an area for shoes, my own had been shortly discarded neatly when I had taken my box down to what would be my temporary room until I either left or got kicked out. Across from the door was a relatively good sized kitchen, which had a door that led to the garage.

Right next to the door was the living room where a long L- shaped dark grey couch comfortably sat on a soft ish looking carpet. An entertainment center was across from it, an assortment of movies and box sets within clear cabinet doors. Along the mantle there was a dvd player along with a couple of game counsels and controllers.

On the other side of the kitchen (opposite the garage) was I assumed to be either Bandit or Gerard's bedroom, the door closed at the moment and it was the only thing that made since.

Across the hall from that was a hallway closet along with the upstairs bathroom that led to another bedroom.

Lastly was the basement stairs, which were in between the front door and the living room. It's confusing to explain in paper but it made sense in my head. A baby gate had been set up and I assumed it was a precaution for Bandit when she was over. That or maybe Gerard wanted to give me some extra privacy?

The basement could probably be it's own apartment if it had a kitchen. Unfortunately it didn't, just a big main room, a bathroom, and one extra room that had been labeled as a creative space by Gerard when I climbed down the stairs and set my stuff down.

"I'll come get ya when Mikey gets back...feel free to play music if you want."

I nod and cautiously sit on the bed, testing the water and waiting for Gerard to go before I played any music.

He shuffled quietly back upstairs and I felt myself finally let go of some tension that had built itself into my shoulders. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and pulled up Spotify, my go to playlist already qued up and halfway through the last song I had listened to.