six : Goodbye

The next week floated by quickly; I had warned all of my friends of the threat from Karen and that I might not be back to the same school next week.

On that Friday, I tried with all of my power to skip school and stick around the house one last time but Karen had other plans.

Well, I skipped anyways ; crossing the street the minute she had left to take Victoria to school and waved at the bus driver. The driver rolled their eyes and closed the door as I was knocking on the neighbors door.

"What?"

"Is Bailey still here?"

Bailey's aunt rolls her eyes and yells up for him. He speeds down the staircase and hugs me tightly. We walk fully outside with our hands interlocked and swing our arms violently.

I call Audrey, Jayden, Chris, and Bee. They all answer and agree to ditch and meet up at the front of the music store. From there we were going to just do whatever until school was supposed to end.

-----

"That's not happening! I'll kidnap you from them", Bee pouts from his spot on top of the picnic table. I chuckle and stand up, pulling them into a hug.

"You won't be able to Bee. There isn't really anything anyone can do, my time here is up and unless by some miracle my next placement is in the same neighborhood or district, this might be the last time I get to hang out with you guys in person..."

"So that's why you wanted to ditch today" I nod in response to Chris, who was probably the most emotionally messed up by the news. After all, we were dating for a few months before we both broke it off.

"Yeah..."

Soon the group all hug me, causing me to laugh sadly as we stayed that way for a good 5 minutes. It was the nicest feeling in the world.

--------

3:00 sadly rolls around and I take in a deep breath as Chris pulls into Karen's driveway. There's another car and I assume it's either Victoria's dad or one of her friends dad.

"I don't wanna go" I whine as I stare up at the house and slouch, refusing to look at Chris and his stupid pouty smile.

I hated leaving my friends. That was possibly the second worst thing about the last two years. I've had several different friend groups and all of them were amazing but almost none kept in contact with me after I was moved. I grow attached to people much too fast and leave all too soon. That was the biggest guilt I still hold onto besides the party that got me into this shit show.

"I don't want you to either, Pencer."

"Oh god" I groan at his awful nickname and shake my head, a smile creeping up on my face.

"I'm so fucking glad I got to meet you, Spencer. And if this isn't really the last time we see each other don't make anything awkward for my sake?"

"Aww Ris are you going soft on me?" He rolls his eyes in response while telling me he's serious, fidgeting with his hoodie string.

I laugh again and shove his arm as he unbuckles his seatbelt. I unbuckle mine and we both step out of the car.

"Seriously, Spence. I love you, remember that please?"

"Maybe. And I love you too, even if you are a secret softie."

We hug and he kisses my cheek before we part ways. I make him promise to text me the minute he gets home and he waves me off. I watch him leave with a heavy sigh deep in my chest.

I then let it out before turning around and walking inside, being met with 4 adults.

--

"I ask you a simple question, Spencer! What is so hard about that?!"

I roll my eyes again as I unzip the boots I was wearing. I knew I'd have to leave again soon anways but it didn't matter to me at the moment. I wanted to recharge a little bit before I'd get shot into yet another new life and routine.

"I did answer you. You asked who my friend was, I told you it was Chris and then you started yelling about how big of a whore I apparently am." I shrug as I force our conversation into the living room. Karen glared at me for it but I ignored her, instead waving in greeting to Gerard and accepting the hug from my social worker.

She was this really sweet lady in her 30s who had been forced by her parents to give her first kid up for adoption when she was a teenager. She had joined the child care industry/career in hopes to help kids when she couldn't raise her own. She was assigned my case about a year ago and had once told me she hoped her kid had turned out as good as I did. She also knows way too much about the worst of my foster homes and the best of them. She's been my favorite so far out of the 4 that I've had.

"Hey, kid, you ready?" I nod, pointing over my shoulder toward the closet that I had stored my stuff I was keeping.

"Just have to get my stuff and we can get going."

"Right. Uhm, I..I better go too. I'm kind of expecting someone..." Gerard trailed and in my peripheral I can see Lindsay roll her eyes before excitement spread a little bit on her face.

"Gee, you got approved?!" She excitedly whispered and I couldn't help but smile a little bit. Even though they clearly had separated, it was nice to see they still got excited about things for the other.

Gerard nodded and stood up, checking his pockets for everything before leaving the room, most likely to say goodbye to Bandit.

As I pulled my stuff out to the car of my social worker (I believe her name is either Jessica or Justina), three major realizations hit me like a mass of bricks.

Gerard and my social worker were talking as if they knew each other quite a bit, I haven't said goodbye to Victoria, and last but not least I was finally out of hell house for good.

So, I ran to the house and scooped V up in the biggest hug I possibly could before I rummaged in the closet of my newly departed room to find a box of my old clothes. A lot of them would be big on her but I gave it to her regardless. There was also quite a few accessories that I knew I would no longer wear and were bound to piss Karen off.

"Now, V, I trust you to be careful how often you wear this stuff around your mom. And if she ever tries to hit you, remember what I told you?"

"Run or scream until my lungs give out."

I smirk and nod with her, doing the little secret handshake I had taught her when I first met her and Karen forced me to bond. I'm kind of glad she did, V was like the little sister I never had.

Plus, turning V from this 'perfect' mini Karen that screamed when she didn't get an extra candy bar into a crazy emo music mini me was the most fun I've had in quite a while. And it enranged Karen enough that I got out of being miserable in this town until I'm 18.

----

It was a two hour drive to my new foster home and I nearly had a heart attack at the realization that the car in the drive way had been the same one at Karen's.

There was a second car in the drive I didn't recognize and looking closer, I realized that the house was one of those duplex things, where two houses sit next to each other and share a driveway. Duplexes are weird to describe.

Regardless, I followed tiredly behind my social worker who had my file tucked in her arm, keys pressed into her hand and my trash bag full of clothes and miscellaneous unbreakable items in the other. I could only partially see over the box in my arms soo when I asked to set it down and finally saw who my new foster placement was, I was understandably shocked.

"No fucking way."

"Actually, It's Mikey. Oh and Gerard. Technically Gee is the one fostering you now. Yeah, th-"

"Mikes.."

I smiled widely, energy now coursing through my body and soul. This was better than anything I could have hoped for. Not only because it was Gerard fucking Way. But because I was so much closer to seeing my actual parents then I have been in the last two years.

And for once, I didn't want to mess this up.