four : Karen's The Worst

While we waited for Bandit's dad, I started texting my social worker. I basically listed out several reasons I needed to be moved out and changed foster placements. I hit send as soon as Karen walked back into the front room and threw the remote at my head.

"Ow, what the fuck?"

"Put on some satanic show of yours, if her dad thinks I let my fake kid do whatever he'll not want her over anymore."

I roll my eyes but oblige, liking the fact that I can watch whatever I wanted to for once. So, I put on The Umbrella Academy.

I was going to put on Hannibal but I didn't want to deal with ads and the show was too smart for me to keep it on as pure background noise. Plus, I love Elliot Page and he did amazing as Vanya and Vanya is my favorite character.

I got through half of the first episode before the door rang. Karen was completely engrossed by the show, barely paying attention to whatever she had been doing in the kitchen. I smirk and shake my head before standing up and opening the door.

I nearly had a heart attack after seeing not only Frank, but Gerard Way standing next to him.

"Uh...hi? I'm here to pick up Bandit."

Still a little bit surprised, I shuffle aside and invite them in with my arm.

"Spencer, what the fuck is this show? When I told you to put on one of your shows I assumed you'd put on a po- oh! Hello, you must be Bandit's father!"

I try my best to hold in my laughter as Karen stands up and immediately gets flustered while greeting Gerard. He looks incredibly confused but accepts the handshake anyways before stuffing their hands back in their pockets and slightly rocking on his heels.

Karen stares between Frank and Gerard suspiciously, probably assuming since they came together that they are together and I knew exactly where this conversation was going.

I paused UA and jumped back down on the couch, watching the drama unfold before me.

"Is this your..partner?" She said it with such disgust and I had to roll my eyes, I always knew she was homophobic considering how awful she is to me about my gender identity and even gets pissed when I bring feminine presenting friends to the house.

"Is that a problem?" Frank challenged as he grabbed Gerards hand and I held back my laughter yet again. Gerard looked so uncomfortable about this entire situation and Frank was obviously trying to get under Karen's skin.

A man after my own heart.

"No...no...in fact, Spencer over there is one of those lesbian girls. I had plans to adopt her later this year but I'm not sure if she wants me to.."

I roll my eyes and stand up, preparing to just go get the kids so Karen can leave me alone for the next week or so.

"First of all, I'm nonbinary, second of all, I'm pansexual not a lesbian. If I was a lesbian I'd only like girls. However, attractive people are attractive. And lastly, why the fuck would I want you to adopt me when all you do is insult and misgender me. Not to mention the constant glaring."

As if to prove my point, Karen glares at me as I turn dramatically down the hall with my middle finger up above my head. Karen swears that I was joking around but I feel both Frank and Gerard's eyes follow me.

-

Knocking on the door frame, I see Victoria and Bandit playing some form of doll game. I smile at the monster high dolls that they're playing with.

"Hi Spencer! Wanna join, we're playing apocalypse, Bandits doll is an evil tyrant and mine is the hero."

I laugh a little and shake my head.

"Man, wish I could V, but Bandit's dad is here and your mom is hard-core judging him right now."

"Aww I don't want her to go."

V pouts as the two put the dolls away and follow me out to the living room. Bandit's eyes light up when she sees her dad and Frank. Frank smiles and waves to her, squating down a little bit as she runs and jumps to hug him. He laughs and picks her up, standing up fully with her.

"Uhm, thanks for having her. Lindsay asked for me to drop her back over here next Friday and she'd pick her up from here, if that's okay with you?"

Karen looked between the three and then over at Victoria, who was pouting while holding onto my waist. She was tall enough that her head reached to about my belly button.

Karen sighed and nodded with her arms crossed.

"That should work. If I'm not home, Spencer will be here." She glared at me as she said that and I rolled my eyes.

Gerard looked at me for a few seconds before his attention turned to Bandit, asking her if she had everything before heading towards the front door.

"Oh, happy birthday by the way Spencer!"

I stood in slight shock but thank Gerard anways, assuming that Frank told him about the record store.

Once they had left, Karen yanked me away from the door and sent V to her room.

"What the fuck was that?! You have no right to correct me in front of those homosexuals! You make me look like a bad person and I'm sick of it! You clearly don't learn anything. I'm calling your social worker tommorow morning and getting you the hell out of my house! Go to your room, I'm sick of seeing your awful face."

When she hit me this time, it actually stung. I glared at her before making my way up to my room. I slam my door loudly before putting on music to hopefully calm me down.

Tears fill my eyes and I just about scream at the knocking on my door. I swung it open with a sarcastic and irritated speech prepared until I see that it's just my best friend Bailey. He smiles at me and holds up a bag of skittles and a monster.

I laugh and allow him in, shutting the door behind him.

"How the fuck did you get in, I know Karen didn't let your stoner ass through the front door."

"Magic, my dear sweet Spence."

I roll my eyes and lock my door, not up for interuptions for the rest of the night. Once I had done that Bailey pulled out a lighter and tossed it to me while he pulled out a pack of cigarettes from his pocket.

"Want one?" I shake my head and he mutters under his breath. I crack open my window for him.

We made small talk for a while before I finally calmed down from my bad mood. I zoned out before my eyes caught onto the box across the room. I smirk and elbow Bailey, who playfully glares and shoves me onto the floor. We had been sitting on the bay window area thing.

"Ow, asshole. Wanna help me with this box?"

"Sure"

And so, we spent the next 20 minutes opening the box.

It was nice to have at least a little bit of my birthday be fun and happy again.