five : Contact

The first thing in the box was a letter signed by my parents.  I read through it and teared up again, not knowing how much I missed and needed their words.

After setting it in my nightstand, I pulled out the next thing, which was a small photo album. I laugh at the cover of pictures of toddler me, including one where I was clearly dressed up for a concert and by the looks of it, it was for mcr.

My hair was in two messy pigtails and I was wearing those kids Halloween tights meant to look like ripped jeans along with a red and black skirt and a black t shirt with what looked like puffy paint meant to resemble the cover art for Revenge.

Flipping through the album there were a few others of me but most of them were from the last two years of my parents with various bands. Some of them I recognized, others I didn't. On the last page with pictures, there was sticky note tucked into the photo sleeve things. It read "We hope you can fill the rest up with your own pictures. Hang in there Spider, we'll meet again soon - mom and dad"

I ended up crying more at that one than the original note that spoke about how hard they were still fighting for custody while holding up jobs. Apparently my dad was now a tour manager for Black Veil Brides and my mom was still a traveling musician like before and taking any offers she could. They both made plenty of money to support a kid but because they traveled so much and their existing charge of child neglect/abandonment, the state of California was hardly budging on their decision to keep them from having custody of their only kid.

It was frustrating how much I messed up. I knew I fucked up my entire life because of a couple bad decisions and my parents were paying the biggest price for it.

"Hey, Spenc, you okay buddy?"

Wiping my eyes again, I nod dismissively toward Bailey and stand up, putting the photo album on my nightstand.

"Let's just look at the next thing."

The next thing was a huge gloomy bear that took up the rest of the box. I smile and take it out, putting it on my bed before looking at the bottom of the box and finding a pencil box thing. I grabbed it out and opened it up to find different pin/buttons with a variety of bands and different fandom things. There were also a couple of patches that I knew were my parents. They were matching Nirvana patches that I have fond memories of.

There was yet another note folded up and taped to the top of the box.

Reading it, it basically said they weren't sure what all things I still liked or new things I liked so they just got a variety. At the bottom was also a number and I felt my heart beat increasing, the excitement and thought that I'd actually be able to have contact with them again coursing through me.

I immediately typed the number into my phone and dialed, barely noticing that it was pretty late before someone picked up.

The background was loud but not bar-sounding. More like friends hanging out. Someone shouted for everyone to shut the fuck up and there was responses of no before I heard an unfamiliar but deeper male voice.

"Helloo?" It definitely didn't sound anything like my dad. I had heard him answering calls from unknown numbers plenty of times and this was never his response.

"Hi, is..is Markcus Reid there?"

"He's in the bathroom and left his phone in the studio. I can deliver a message for him. CC SHUT- WHAT THE FUCK IS IN YOUR MOUTH"

I smile at the sudden shouting of words. If there was any truth to the fact my dad was now Bvb's tour manager, I had to assume one of the guys answered his phone.

"Sorry about that, as I was saying, oh hi Mark. I don't know they didn't say, just asking for you. Ow, dud-"

I laughed at the mental image of my  dad smacking one of the bvb guys upside the head.

It must have picked up my laugh as I heard someone shout that I sounded adorable.

"Spencer? Is that you?"

"H-hi dad. I got the box.."

"Oh, honey, hi. You sound tired, are you okay? You eating enough? Are your foster parents treating you nice? You doing good in school?"

I laugh a little, the panicked but gentle voice of my dad sounding so nice. Sure it's only been two years but I've been through so many homes it's hard to remember what my life was like before all of this.

"Yeah, I'm. I'm okay. I miss you guys, a lot. I wish I could see you, but my foster mom right now hates me...I miss your voice and moms hugs and your hugs and I miss going to warped and annoying everybody. I...I miss my life dad."

There's a sigh on the other side and the gentle sound of a door closing. I can feel myself drifting to sleep as I lay down, Bailey laying beside me because he's nosey.

"I know, honey. Two years will fly by in no time. And I'm sure your foster mom doesn't hate you. It'll be okay, you've got this, kiddo." I laugh sadly and nod, sighing as I hear Karen's footsteps.

"I better go before she finds out I've contacted you. Say hi to mom for me?"

"Of course, Spider."

I smile at the old nickname before we say our goodbyes. I quickly add his contact info, setting his name as yogi bear to not only cover that it's my dad but to blend in with the rest of my weird contact names.

I make Bailey hide underneath my bed and stick my presents in the closet before unlocking my door and jumping onto my bed.

Karen barrels into my room and throws down a jumbo trash bag.

"Your social worker will be here next Friday to relocate you. I expect you to pack all of your shit in here. You're allowed one extra box but that's it. I don't need a shit stain like you living here and corrupting my daughter anymore."

She then spit at me and left. I broke down in tears as Bailey crawled out from under my bed, shut and locked the door, then climbed on my bed to hug me.

I fell asleep in his arms with a million thoughts swimming through my head.