03 - Ryder: Calculus

It should've been impossible for Stacy to move so quickly in such ridiculously sized heels, but somehow she was managing it. Her knees buckled ever so slightly with each step, toes turning red from the pressure the shoes were putting on her feet, but never once did she complain. Still she wore them, day after day.

I'd never been able to understand why girls put themselves through such torture for fashion. If they couldn't manage to look good in jeans, sneakers and a t-shirt, no amount of expensive clothing and make-up could do it for them.

But Stacy seemed to be trying awfully hard to prove me wrong. As we walked, I couldn't help but let my eyes stray slightly to the neckline of her top, watching it slip down the skin with each step. When she noticed where my gaze was lingering, she added a little extra bounce to her step, and her smug smile told me that she didn't mind one bit.

Freshly manicured nails dug into the skin of my arm as she pulled me to one side of the corridor, pressing my back against the lockers with a smirk that made bile rise up in my throat.

Running her hands up and down my chest, her tongue darted out involuntarily to wet her lips they closed in on mine. Sensing that we were being watched, I turned my head to the side, shocked to see a pair of warm brown eyes staring back at me.

Lola watched the two of us curiously, and a slow smile curved onto my lips, widening when her cheeks flushed a deep shade of pink. Quickly, she glanced away, but her gaze strayed back to me and Stacy almost immediately and I winked slyly, daring her to come closer. Her cheeks growing increasingly darker, she turned back to her friend, her face paling when the girl shook her head resolutely.

No sooner had I turned away than I could sense her watching again, and I smiled against Stacy's lips. The chunky heels of Lola's boots clacked against the floor of the corridor as she walked towards us, and I turned my head once again. Stacy was undeterred, and dragged her lips down to my throat, lightly suckling on the skin below my ear.

My eyes fluttered shut slightly in pleasure, and Lola hesitated ever so slightly in her stride when I sighed.

"I need to get into my locker" She greeted pointedly, her eyes turning cold when they met mine. Unsuccessful in my attempt to push Stacy away, I pulled us both to the side. Her teeth bit lightly into the skin of my neck unintentionally as we moved.

"Surely it would be awfully cramped in there?" Tilting my head to one side, I hid a smile when her lips twitched slightly in amusement. There was no reply as she removed the Calculus books from her locker, along with the homework I had yet to do. She'd got an A... good for her.

Her eyes flickered to mine as she turned, and the light brushing of her arm against mine as she left felt anything but accidental. I'm not sure why, but the thought that she may have done it on purpose made me smile.

The first bell rang as she headed back towards where her friend was waiting and the corridors cleared rapidly as students filed into their classes. Prying Stacy away from my body, I followed Lola towards calculus, pausing only to get the books I needed from my own locker.

It was rare that I ever made it to lessons on time, but the second bell had yet to ring by the time I reached the classroom. Lola was already sat in her chair, her equipment laid out neatly on the desk in front of her as she stared blankly at the starter on the board. Her confused expression was one I'd rarely seen outside of this classroom.

I didn't pause to think before striding across the classroom, and slipping into the empty chair beside her. My intention had been to help her, but all I could seem to bring myself to do was stare. She looked at me with a hint of panic, but there was an underlying curiosity in her eyes that seemed to be preventing her from telling me to get lost. She swallowed deeply, and turned back to her book, her stiff posture the only sign that she was aware of me next to her.

As she scrawled down the workings in her book, I quietly pointed out the flaws in her calculations. Her reactions were almost comedic to watch. She couldn't seem to decide whether to be embarrassed, annoyed, or grateful. It seemed that in the end, her good upbringing won out and she smiled gratefully. The expression almost, but not quite, reached her eyes.

As the second bell rang, a throat cleared beside me.

"Dude, you're sorta in my seat. Couldya move?"

I stood from the chair at Mark's request, my hand brushing Lola's shoulder lightly. Her breath hitched at the contact, and my lips quirked into a smile at the sound. She grimaced in response, but I'd already seen the momentary collapse in her defences, and for now, that was enough.

Mark watched the exchange, one eyebrow raised, and I headed quickly to my seat, noting down the answers to the questions and watching their hushed conversation closely. Years of boredom as a child had provided me with the strangely useful talent of lip-reading, and I was able to make out their words despite the noise of the classroom.

"What was all that about?"

Lola glanced over her shoulder at me; eyebrows raised curiously when she saw me looking back at her. Unashamed, I held her gaze until she broke it herself, cheeks ever so slightly flushed.

"Tell you later." She finally responded to Mark, who turned to look at me, eyes narrowed. I returned the expression.

Calculus seemed to pass by a great deal quicker than usual, despite me spending the whole lesson staring at the back of Lola's head. Dark brown curls hid a great deal of the conversation between her and Mark from my view, but every now and again I could see her shoulders shake slightly with laughter, and my own lips curled up in response. I'm sure she could feel me watching her, but never once did she turn around, and when the bell rang, she scrambled out of the door without so much as a glance.

Gathering my things, I followed her and Mark out of the door as they spoke animatedly. A surge of unexpected jealousy flowed through my veins and when Stacy came up behind me, I welcomed the distraction.

When I pulled away from the kiss, I was shocked to find Lola still stood there. Although she was still talking to Mark, I could see her looking at Stacy and me from the corner of her eyes. The expression on her face was undefinable, a cross between disappointment and an odd look of determination. It may just have been my imagination, but I could've sworn I saw some jealousy there too.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So this is to give a bit of info on his feelings and stuff, but I didn't/ don't want to give too much away so... hope u enjoyed.

-Bree