04 - Lola: Love Game

I swear the lunch queue at the cafeteria got longer every day. Offering to go grab our usual table, Mark had simply handed me a $20 for his food once he saw how many people there were, leaving me to wait alone. I'd been here almost ten minutes now.

I was almost at the front when a large hand wrapped around my wrist, digging the fastener of my bracelet into my skin. I winced as I was pulled into the hallway, the food trays clattering loudly to the floor behind me.

As soon as we were out of the way, I was spun around, and my suspicions were confirmed when I was met with Ryder's mischievous smirk.

"So Lola, guess what I just overheard your two little friends talking about."

"You mean Claire and Anna? Don't pretend you don't know their names, a**hole, you don't need to protect your reputation in front of me. My expectations are already below floor level."

He raised his eyebrows at my tone of voice and I mimicked the expression, my eyes cold.

"Besides, I have no idea what you're talking about."

"So when Claire told Anna about your plan to seduce me... that was just a spur-of-the-moment lie?"

As always, my flaming cheeks abolished any thoughts I may have had about lying my way out of this, and confirmed the truth.

"So my question is, why?"

He hadn't heard the whole story. Excellent. Even if I was utterly incapable of fabricating a believable lie, I happened to be excellent at withholding the truth.

"and my question is, why would I tell you?"

"So it's true." Ryder muttered thoughtfully to himself, eyebrows furrowed as he paced around me. Breathing out heavily through my nose, I raised my chin slightly, avoiding eye contact and remaining silent.

"You know it'll never work, right? Even the girls who try to stay away from me fall for me, how are you planning not to when your plan is to get as close as possible?"

He smirked.

"You can't play a player baby, it doesn't work that way."

His arrogance was the last straw.

"Right, you call yourself a player? I'm proposing a game."

He didn't reply straight away, but the spark of curiosity I could see in his eyes led me to continue despite my instant hatred of my own idea.

"I will continue trying to seduce you, only this time, you will return the effort. Whoever falls for the other one first... loses."

Digging myself deeper and deeper into a hole with every word, it was like the shovel had a mind of its own. My annoyance had got the better of me, and I had no idea how to fix this. It was one thing to humour Claire's revenge scheme, but this was something else entirely, something I no longer knew how to control.