06 - Ryder: Game On

She certainly wasn't afraid to be bold, I'd give her that. Not many girls would have the guts to do something like that to anybody, especially not me. They were all too busy trying to get noticed. Ironically, it was only Lola that had ever held my attention for more than mere minutes at a time, and she wasn't even trying. I couldn't help but be annoyed at that fact.

The girls I dated, they all wanted to be the special one, the one that I could finally fall for. The only girl who'd ever come close was Lola, and that relationship was over when it had never even really started. Some might say I took the easy way out of that one, and I'd admit, cheating on her after one kiss had been a dick move; the first of many dick moves. After Chelsea left, I just couldn't afford to let anybody back in.

Even after our unofficial break-up, I could still see the occasional moment of hurt on her face when she saw me around school with whatever random girl I'd picked up that day. Over the last year, she'd learnt to hide it pretty well, but I could still see her body tense, or the tiniest cringe every now and again. If it'd been any other girl, I would've laughed at how pathetic that was. Most of them found ways to get over me, or simply took on my methods of coping, leaving a train of broken-hearted men behind on their journey to recovery.

I couldn't bring myself to laugh at Lola's evident distress, not when I felt exactly the same. I was almost as disgusted by some of the girls kissing me as she was by seeing it. For many, I was their first, and boy could you tell. Those who'd had too much experience were even more unpleasant to deal with, surprisingly.

However I felt about Lola no longer mattered. She had humiliated me, and my wounded pride refused to let me let her get away with that. She wanted a game? I'd give her one. This was war, and she'd just challenged me to do exactly what I do best. I was going to get through those walls and crush her from the inside. I'd done it countless times before to countless other girls, so why did the thought of doing it this time make me want to cringe? She was willing to do exactly the same to me, she'd even told me so, so it wasn't like she didn't deserve it.

Still leaning against my car in shock, I stared around at the few people who'd lingered from the crowd, and then finally to Derek, who seemed to be taking great amusement in my humiliation.

Raising my eyebrows at one of the loiterers, I smirked as they scurried away with wide eyes.

"You need a lift or not?" I asked Derek gruffly and he grabbed his bag, muttering a quick goodbye to the girl he'd been talking to before joining me by my car.

Slipping into the front seat, I slipped the key in the ignition, flicking on the AC at full speed. Flour came gushing out, swirling in the air as the fan spun, blowing out cold air. The powder covered me from every direction and Derek guffawed from outside the car as I scowled. I guess she was thorough too, though how she'd managed to get in my car I didn't know.

"You know what, I'll just ask someone else." Derek's shoulders shook with laughter as he ran over to one of the few people still standing in the car park, switching on a smile as he scavenged a ride home.

All confusion flew from my head in my annoyance. She may have started this game, but I was going to finish it.

The flash of someone's camera phone outside my window pulled me from my thoughts, and I growled in annoyance as a group of young girls giggled loudly at the pictures of me scowling through the flour.

Pulling out of the car park, I glanced up at the sign on the intersection at the end of the road. Turning my head to the side, I blew the flour off my shoulder as I checked the oncoming cars and glanced back up at the signs. With a sigh, I turned left to the hospital.