21 - Lola: Getting Ready

Inevitably, Ryder met my mother about a week later. Just as I'd expected, she hated him, there wasn't much that she did like nowadays. Then again, she may have been less judgemental had she not found Ryder in my room without having seen him come in through the front door.

Since she'd been home for a few weeks now, the window had become a regular form of entry. That didn't stop me from panicking every time he made the jump between the tree and the window. The fact that he was willing to literally risk his life, or at least serious injury, just to see me was astounding.

Over the next few weeks, we settled into a regular rhythm. Seeing each other at school every day didn't seem to be enough anymore. He climbed in every few nights just to watch films, or talk, or play ridiculous board games. I had yet to beat him at chess, and it was bugging the hell out of me.

"Miss Mackenzie. If possible, could you stay tuned in long enough to answer the question?"

My head shot up from the desk, my cheeks burning. It was the last lesson on the last day of term. How was I supposed to focus? Nobody else could seem to pay attention for longer than five minutes at a time either, judging by the expressions of people dotted around the classroom. Many hadn't even bothered showing up.

Miss smiled in amusement.

"Be that as it may, we do have a curriculum to teach, even if nobody is paying attention."

Realising I'd spoken my thoughts out loud, I blushed redder and Ryder chuckled from beside me as Miss turned to someone else. I looked at him and he shook his head with a grin.

"Excuse me; is there something the two of you would like to share?"

I shook my head and she rolled her eyes as murmurs of noise passed through the class. It only took one distraction to set everybody off, and a good five minutes to regain silence.

The teacher sighed in exasperation.

"As you know, the school gives students the afternoon off to prepare for prom."

Everybody seemed to perk up at these words.

"However, it's obvious that none of you will be paying any attention, and that my teaching therefore, is simply me wasting my breath. You may go early."

The class cheered and papers flew up in the air as everybody ran out. Claire jumped in front of me as I headed to the door.