15 - Ryder: Awake

"Well?" His calculating gaze fell on Lola, who tensed under his judgement.

"I'm Lola, it's nice to meet you Mr Case." Although her hands were trembling slightly, I was pleased to hear her voice sounding as strong as always. Dad would've pounced at any sign of weakness. Ignoring Lola's outstretched hand, my father turned to me. Lola's arm dropped to her side as her eyes lowered to the floor, and I slipped my hand into hers for encouragement.

"Wow. She actually has manners. You've finally upped your standards son." His voice was deadly sweet as she smiled at me. It was the type of smile he'd been perfecting for years, and might have looked almost genuine if I didn't know better. Obviously it hadn't fooled Lola either, and her nails dug into the back of my hand, her fingers trembling now from anger rather than fear as she tried to reign in her temper.

My father had done everything to deserve her almost immediate hatred, and still managed to smile whilst doing it. It astounded me that Lola hadn't blown already. As much as I would've liked to see that, it was probably for the best. This wasn't exactly the best time for an outburst.

"Hey, let's get some food." I suggested, shrugging guiltily at Derek before pulling Lola from the room. She didn't protest, seemingly stunned into silence.

Leading her to the vending machine, I finally felt her relax, her grip slackening on my hand. Her stomach growled loudly as I fed coins into the machine and I chuckled at her sheepish grin.

"What would you like?"

Her face lit up as she answered.

"Crème egg?" She posed it as a question, biting on her lip nervously, as if she thought it might be some sort of cruel joke. As it dropped from the rack, she smiled, snatching it from my grip and tearing off the wrapping before sinking her teeth into the half-melted chocolate with a moan.

If she moaned like that every time, I'd happily buy her as many crème eggs as she wanted. She blushed as I raised my eyebrows.

"It's been a long day."

I chuckled as Derek exited the room, looking absolutely worn out after mere minutes in the same room as my mother. She had that effect on people.

"You two would be cute together you know?" She told Derek quietly, a hesitant smile curving up at the corner of her lips. He raised his eyebrows in denial.

"I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm just here to support Ryder - time of need and all that, you know?" She rolled her eyes at the obvious lie.