22 - Lola: Prom

"Now you can look." Claire announced as she curled the last section of my hair and let it fall over my shoulder. I sighed gratefully and stood, walking over to the mirror as Claire whipped off the sheet. My mouth fell open at my reflection. There was no way that the girl looking back at me could actually be me. The dress clung to my hips before the skirt spanned out, ending a little above my knees. My lips were full and shiny, and my eyes were smudged with pale grey fading into a smoky white. Dark brown locks fell over my shoulders in soft waves and I pulled on one of them gently, smiling as it bounced back into place.

"Claire you're seriously amazing at this." I laughed and turned to hug her, but she stepped away.

"You'll crease the dress."

I rolled my eyes as the doorbell rang, running to the window with a grin. Despite the short notice, Derek and Ryder had somehow managed to rent a seven seater car so that they could drive Claire and Anna there too. It was sweet of them.

The car sat in the road outside as Ryder headed up to the doorway.

"They're here!"

Grabbing my purse and jacket, I ran to the door as fast as I could manage in my heels, yanking it open and coming face to face with Ryder. He smiled, and I sighed calmly as any nerves I'd had about tonight evaporated.

"You know, I don't think I'm going to be able to leave you alone tonight." He whispered into my ear as I took his arm and I smiled.

"Well not that I'm complaining but why not?"

"I'm hardly going to leave you alone in a room full of teenage guys when you look like that."

He and I climbed in the back seat as Derek held the passenger seat door open for Chelsea and then Anna and Claire as they climbed in in front of us. I leant into Ryder with a smile as the car set off.

"So Claire," he began in an attempt at small talk.

"You're going single tonight."